What is the best way to learn about ESRI, layers, services etc?

Jump to solution
06-23-2015 11:02 AM
AlexWilmer
New Contributor

I am building a custom JavaScript application using the ArcGIS JS API. I have gone through the tutorials and am comfortable with adding widgets, working with dojo etc.. but from a high level perspective I am very confused about layers. I've never done anything at all with ESRI or ArcGIS besides the tutorials listed in the guide, so I feel like I'm missing a fairly major piece of information about how all this stuff is designed. (layers especially, map services too, and probably other things).

Is there some manual or documentation that goes through this stuff. The stuff I've read so far seems to start talking about layers as if we're already supposed to know what they are.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

This is a very broad question. Not trying to be too snarky, but I assume it would be similar to asking you, "Is there a manual for computer science?"

Your best resource will be the help, probably the Geodata section​ or What is a Layer?.

For more JS API-geared help, try here​ (especially the esri/layers section).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

This is a very broad question. Not trying to be too snarky, but I assume it would be similar to asking you, "Is there a manual for computer science?"

Your best resource will be the help, probably the Geodata section​ or What is a Layer?.

For more JS API-geared help, try here​ (especially the esri/layers section).

0 Kudos
AlexWilmer
New Contributor

No not snarky at all, though if someone were to ask if there's a manual for computer science, I would able to point to a very large number of books, tutorials, interactive coding environments etc.

The 'Geodata / What is a layer' seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I'm wrong to think this, but I would have put links to that entire help document somewhere on the first page of JS API guide.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Alex,

Here's a GIS Glossary - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia  with many terms defined.

Check out the Esri Video | Videos Covering GIS Events, Products, People, & Topics page for many free videos with many, many topics.

Check out Developing Web Apps with ArcGIS API for JavaScript / Building Applications Using the ArcGIS API for ...

And, if you get into using the Web Application Builder for Developers, I have a few blog posts that can point you to stuff     Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List    and  Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder - Developer Edition Installed

And although I'm assuming you already have been here, though I better include the link.   ArcGIS for Developers

0 Kudos
JohnFarrel
New Contributor

I found lots of thing to learn from here.Really, A great discussion is going on.Thanks to all.

0 Kudos