UX\UI Designer here with questions

02-22-2022 12:45 PM
RoxanneG
New Contributor

Hi. I'm designing in Figma for a new portal in an existing app at my work.  The new portal will use the ArcGIS API for javascript latest version.  I've been able to use the .fig files and point symbols in the  ESRI Github repository and a lot of sandbox examples to create a working design so far.  I see that the default selection color is CYAN.  I was also using CYAN in the design to show selected assets.  A point brought by a colleague is that the CYAN might not be the most visually accessible color choice.  Do you have any suggestions  or best practices for selection colors based on A11Y?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelGaiggEsri
New Contributor III

Hi @RoxanneG - accessibility standards require a color contrast ratio of 4.5:1, you can check that by using tools such as https://contrast-ratio.com/

In your case you need to check that your selection color (foreground) has sufficient contrast to its background (basemap or other layers). I know that this might not be easy because maps are dynamic and can be quite different across various scales. Therefore, another way to approach that would be to measure the color or your to be highlighted object (foreground) to its border (background, the color you choose to highlight the object). Hope that helps

0 Kudos