To work with "ArcGis WebAppBuilder" license is necessary to "Arcgis Portal" or "ArcGIS Online"?

Jump to solution
12-18-2015 12:56 PM
Samy_PatricioManosalvas_Granja
New Contributor II

I want to build applications with "Arcgis SDK JavaScript" but when I installed the WebAppBuilder requesting the URL of my organization.

The question is:

To work with "ArcGis WebAppBuilder" license is necessary to "Arcgis Portal" or "ArcGIS Online"?

Talves arcgisserver I can work with, and JSAPI WebAdapter ??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Samy, that is correct.  for Web AppBuilder you would need access to ArcGIS Online and/or Portal. However, if you have ArcGIS Server, and it is current on maintenance, you should already have access to it (talk with your customer service rep or distributor). With ArcGIS Online you have the option of using the online version of the Web AppBuilder.....or you can use the developer's version, once you create the appID on ArcGIS Online (or Portal).  Check out a couple of my blog posts (one repeat of above...and messy posts, but lots of info):

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder - Developer Edition Installed

With WebAppbuilder, there are many widgets that just need to be configured, or you can look into some of the user provided custom widgets that are available.  But it can be fairly point-and-click if that is what you need.  With the JSAPI, there are many samples, but you would be writing most from scratch.

ArcGIS API for JavaScript

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Samy,

You will need either Portal for ArcGIS or ArcGIS Online to work with the Web AppBuilder.  The foundation of the application is built off of a web map, and this can come from either Portal or ArcGIS Online.

New Contributor II

hi Jake

But if I install the Web Adaptor I have a web repository? ... But I can not integrate with webappbuilder.

I see that is a requirement of WebAppBuilder have ArcGis-Online or PortalArcgis,

Is that correct?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you don't want to use Web AppBuilder due to the AGOL or Portal requirement, you can use the JSApi and right things from scratch  See ArcGIS API for JavaScript

WAB has several plarforms.  AGOL only 

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS

or you can download thedeveloper edition

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers

For or more resources   Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

New Contributor II

Hi Rebecca

Thanks for your answer.

Please can you confirm me:
"WebAppBuilder" does not work if I have only "ArcGIS Server", "WebAdaptor" and JASAPI?

Because of your answer, I have concluded that the web development would generate manually.

I see that is a requirement of WebAppBuilder have ArcGis-Online or PortalArcgis, Is that correct?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Samy, that is correct.  for Web AppBuilder you would need access to ArcGIS Online and/or Portal. However, if you have ArcGIS Server, and it is current on maintenance, you should already have access to it (talk with your customer service rep or distributor). With ArcGIS Online you have the option of using the online version of the Web AppBuilder.....or you can use the developer's version, once you create the appID on ArcGIS Online (or Portal).  Check out a couple of my blog posts (one repeat of above...and messy posts, but lots of info):

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder - Developer Edition Installed

With WebAppbuilder, there are many widgets that just need to be configured, or you can look into some of the user provided custom widgets that are available.  But it can be fairly point-and-click if that is what you need.  With the JSAPI, there are many samples, but you would be writing most from scratch.

ArcGIS API for JavaScript