TextSymbols do not display in IE8.

09-11-2014 07:47 AM
StanLambert
New Contributor II

I'm trying to make my application IE 8 compatible. When I create a Graphic based on a TextSymbol and add it to a graphics layer it does not display. Using IE's debugger (painful) the only difference I can see in how the graphic object is created is that in IE8 the _shape property is null even after it has been added to the graphics layer whereas in IE9 the _shape property is populated.

I found a bug report on the Dojo sight here: https://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/10491 but it's a couple of years old. Is there a patch available from ESRI?   Should I try to apply that patch from Dojo?

I'm using version 3.10 of the Javascript API.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Stan,

Can you see the text symbol in this sample in IE8?

Geocode an address | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

If so can you provide a sample of your code that shows how you are creating the graphic and symbol properties.

0 Kudos
StanLambert
New Contributor II

No. The text symbol does not display in IE 8. Here's what it looks like in IE 8:

no-text-symbol.png

Here's what it looks like in IE 9:

text-symbol.png

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Looks like this may be a bug with Text Symbols in IE8 with versions 3.8 and later of the JSAPI. I'm looking into it and will post an update later.

0 Kudos
JasonZou
Occasional Contributor III

The issue will happen when you add point graphics and text to the same graphics layer. Try to create two graphics layers, one for the points, and one for the text. It should resolve the issue. Good luck.

0 Kudos
weiweizhang
New Contributor

I found this is  a bug of arcgis js api,  because the decoration property has no default value. My solution code below:

new TextSymbol("").setFont(new Font().setDecoration("none"));

0 Kudos
CraigLinn
New Contributor III

You could try adding

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" /> 

to the top of your application. See if you can force IE into a compatibility mode. Google IE Compatibility mode. html - Force IE compatibility mode off in IE using tags - Stack Overflow

0 Kudos