Street Labeling

07-25-2013 05:35 AM
ChristopherLong1
New Contributor II
Hello All,

I have a JavaScript map that is having trouble labeling some shorter streets in my town. When I look at the mxd they are labeled and when I look at the rest service they are labeled in the JavaScript preview but when i check out the actually map they are not labeled... Does any one have any ideas one why this is happening?

I'm really new at this so it could be something basic.

Thanks!

Chris
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JasonZou
Occasional Contributor III
The labels are not controlled by the Javascript API or REST API, but should be controlled by the mapping engine ArcGIS Server uses. If you zoom in the map further enough, the label should appear if you can see them in ArcMap or JS preview. You really have less control about it. One option you can do is to use the Maplex label engine in ArcMap to define the rule how the label should be drawn for short lines. Test it in ArcMap at each scale level your mapping site has, and publish it once you are satisfied with the result. But be aware that using Maplex engine may impact the site performance though.
0 Kudos
ChristopherLong1
New Contributor II
@zj_zou

Thanks for the info. The labels do show up in the mxd and the js preview when you zoom in but not in the actually JavaScript map. I played around with the Maplex label but nothing changed... Any other suggestions? Or would another forum be better for this?

Thanks for your help!

Chris
0 Kudos
BenFousek
Occasional Contributor III
Is your web map using a basemap or otherwise setting levels of detail? The standard tiled web mercator service's highest level has a scale of approx. 1:1128, whereas the js preview in the REST api has infinite zoom. My guess is you have the labels set to not overrun the lines and your web map does not zoom to a level which they render.
0 Kudos