SQL Server not using spatial indexes for ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer requests

05-20-2016 07:17 AM
SteveBurdette
Occasional Contributor

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 running SQL Server 2012 R2 and ESRI Server 10.3.  The server has 16 dual-core Xeon processors and 96 GB of RAM.  I have a web application that is using ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayers to display state-wide lines and points, including labels for both lines and points.  We restrict the display of the lines/points until the user is zoomed to an appropriate level.

The issue that we are seeing is every time the web application requests data, the SQL Server CPU load goes to 100%.  When one user is using the application performance is not bad, but when several folks start using it performance degrades quickly. 

In analyzing the queries that are being used, it doesn't appear that SQL Server is using the spatial indexes at all.  I've tried several things, including setting MAXDOP to 1, but nothing seems to work and SQL Server takes the CPU to 100% every time the application requests data. 

Has anyone experienced this issue and been able to find a resolution?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
thejuskambi
Occasional Contributor III

You might find some answers if you post it in the right forum. This forum is for JavaScript API queries.

0 Kudos
SteveBurdette
Occasional Contributor

I posted in both the Javascript API and ArcGIS Server forums.  I figured there were some developers that had run across this issue as well and might have some input.

0 Kudos