returnDistinctValues not returning distinct

Jump to solution
02-06-2014 11:07 AM
jamesmuir
New Contributor II
I am trying to perform a query to return distinct values from my map service running on 10.1. The returned result has 1000 records (the max set in the server) and when i inspect it I am seeing duplicate values. Here is my code.

var queryTask = new esri.tasks.QueryTask(layerServiceUrl);             var query = new esri.tasks.Query();             query.where = "1=1";             query.outFields = [];             query.outFields.push(field);             query.returnDistinctValues = true;

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
That is not a property of Query yet. Take a look at this thread.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
That is not a property of Query yet. Take a look at this thread.
0 Kudos
jamesmuir
New Contributor II
Unfortunately, you are correct. Thank you.
0 Kudos
KenDoman
Occasional Contributor II

For a temporary hack until the Query property supports the feature, try tacking it into your QueryTask url definition. It may not work in all cases.

example: var qtask = new QueryTask(url + "?returnDistinctValues=true");

KenDoman
Occasional Contributor II

As a side note, this hack doesn't work if you're using QueryTask.executeForCount. There's probably other places it doesn't work. We anxiously await the next release.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

All,

This has been brought back to the attention of the JavaScript API team for inclusion in the next release:

See this thread:

returnDistinctValues

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, implementing this is under consideration.  In the mean time, it is possible to do with the current release of the JavaScript API (but without a nice and clean name like returnDistinctValues).  The solution is to add the "esri/tasks/StatisticDefinition" module to your project.  Then do the following:

1) Set the statistics type to "count" (see doc, statisticdefinition-amd | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript)

2) Set groupByFeildsForStatistics to the field of interest (see doc, query-amd | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript )

The result will be a short list of distinct values with respective feature counts.  Hope this helps.

-Doug

PS or go with what Kelly suggests in the post Robert refers too.