Printing with AGS 10.0

Jump to solution
06-06-2013 07:21 AM
TrevorWeiland
New Contributor III
I have searched for an answer for this but all of the discussions on printing focus on the new printTask method using v10.1.  Perhaps this has been answered in the old forums but I can't find anything anymore.

Basically, I have a web report that is query results in a table and a map.  The map is simply zoomed into the query results and the map includes the hybrid basemap, local high resolution imagery when zoomed in, and a couple of vector based layers. 

Everything looks great in the browser but when I attempt to print the page, only the vector layers print, the raster layers won't print.  This happens when i send the page to a printer and when I print to pdf using acrobat's print object.  Currently, I am using a simple javascript method and I am stuck using AGS v10.0 and IE8 (no choice in the matter for now):

<A HREF="javascript:window.print()">Print Page</A>

I don't know if it's the print method or something else (CSS) that is causing this.  Is there something I can use with AGS v10.0 to print out the map including the raster layers or is the only solution to upgrade my AGS to v10.1 and use the printTask?

Thank you,
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TrevorWeiland
New Contributor III
To wrap up this problem with a solution I'll post what I discovered. 

It ended up being a problem with setting the opacity of one of the layers added to the map.  No matter what other options I set, this service would print with a white background when I set the opacity to less than 1 so I removed the opacity option and the map prints correctly now.  Not really the solution I wanted but it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BenFousek
Occasional Contributor III
Do you have Print Background Colors and Images checked in Page Setup?
0 Kudos
TrevorWeiland
New Contributor III
The only place I found it is under Internet Options and it was not checked.  I turned this option on and have no change.
0 Kudos
BenFousek
Occasional Contributor III
Sorry that didn't work. It's been a while ago, but I recall encountering this. It was a printing out of IE problem. I think the raster layers print but are rendered as solid white. You can test this by changing the background color of the map.

You might try setting the z-index of the map element to 1.

Honestly, the print task is worth getting 10.1 if you need easy printing. There is always the custom print task route too. At one time the St.Louis esri office had a 10 print task in the code gallery (which I assume morphed into the out-of-box 10.1 print task). But it's one of those great items that has "mysteriously" vanished as the version number has increased.
0 Kudos
TrevorWeiland
New Contributor III
i added the css style to make the div background color blue and tested this by commenting out my raster layer.  With the imagery layer on, the map shows up on screen just like before but still prints without the raster but now with a blue background.  Unfortunately, I don't have a computer on the network that can have other browsers to eliminate that source of trouble.
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
I'm not having the greatest luck with the 10.1 print service, although it keeps getting brought up as the solution to all our printing problems.  I hunted around quite a bit, the same way you did, trying to find pre-10.1 printing solutions and they seem to have been deleted from the places I would have expected to find them.
0 Kudos
TrevorWeiland
New Contributor III
To wrap up this problem with a solution I'll post what I discovered. 

It ended up being a problem with setting the opacity of one of the layers added to the map.  No matter what other options I set, this service would print with a white background when I set the opacity to less than 1 so I removed the opacity option and the map prints correctly now.  Not really the solution I wanted but it works.
0 Kudos