Print Secure Services using 10.1 Print Service

03-22-2013 06:56 AM
DonCaviness
New Contributor III
I am trying to use the print service in an application that has secure services and I get errors.  I have used the same print service to print non secure services without any problems.  What needs to be done to allow the secure services to be printed?  This is the error I am receiving.

Unable to connect to map server at http://<servername>/arcgis/rest/services/<service>/MapServer?token=<tokenval>
0 Kudos
14 Replies
DonCaviness
New Contributor III
I'm not getting the token error any longer.  I now get the following error:

"Error executing tool.: Layer "<layerName>": Unable to connect to map server at <mapServiceURL>.�?�Layer "<layerName>": Failed to create layer from service at <mapServiceURL>.�?�Failed to execute (ExportWebMap).�?�Failed to execute (Export Web Map)."

In this case, I have two layers from the same map service that I'm attempting to print.  I have created the custom print service as per instruction and gave that print service the same credentials as the map service in ArcGIS Server Manager.  I am adding a token to the request for the print service but stripping out the tokens in the Web_Map_as_JSON parameter.
0 Kudos
KenBurcham
Occasional Contributor
Once I learned this is a known bug with ESRI, we came up with a klugy work-around.

Since we only needed to print secure services within our building, our solution was to:

1) Add specific DENY rules to our external firewall for the services we needed to print.  
2) Using the siteadmin app, unsecure the services we needed to print. 
3) Now printing works fine.

The firewall rules make it so only users inside the building can get to the services.  Since that is true, we can unsecure them so that printing will work from inside the building.  That meets our requirements. 

ken.
0 Kudos
DonCaviness
New Contributor III
Once I learned this is a known bug with ESRI, we came up with a klugy work-around.

Since we only needed to print secure services within our building, our solution was to:

1) Add specific DENY rules to our external firewall for the services we needed to print.  
2) Using the siteadmin app, unsecure the services we needed to print. 
3) Now printing works fine.

The firewall rules make it so only users inside the building can get to the services.  Since that is true, we can unsecure them so that printing will work from inside the building.  That meets our requirements. 

ken.

Thanks Ken. However this solution will not work in my case, the services will be available externally and they must be secure.
0 Kudos
CereusGraphics
New Contributor
If the services are secure for the print then what can be better option that this. This thread talks of descriptive thing. Isn�??t it?
0 Kudos
jonathbenz
New Contributor
If there is any printing web maps that contain secured services, you need publish your own service for printing instead of using the out-of-the-box PrintingTools.They walk you through a working example of a services security workflow and discuss available through an ArcGIS Online subscription.
0 Kudos