pbf

04-15-2020 01:39 AM
wangchao1
New Contributor II

I saw there were a lot of  pbf files download  when the map was loaded. I searched about it and I know maybe they are used on text font. but I don't konw whether all the pbf file are needed? is there a way to limit the numbers of the pbf files?  really I think the task of   pbf downloading prolongs the features loading time a lot.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Wang,

No pbf is a binary format that esri is now using to cache features.

Output formats—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers 

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

To add to what Robert Scheitlin, GISP wrote, historically, it is actually a Google designed data format (Protocolbuffer Binary Format). It is now widely used by big name companies like Google, Mapbox and now ESRI to effectively distribute vector based geographic data, e.g. in Vector Tiles, and is the main data format for distributing OpenStreetMap data.

One of the main benefits is that it is a very compact data format, and is fast to process with currently available tools.

wangchao1
New Contributor II

There is a labelingInfo like this

and I used it to my featureLayer which has about 40 features(each feature has a picture and a label). when the map first loaded,it will cost me about 30 seconds even minutes until the pictures and labels come out, while if I take the lables away, the loading will just take me about 5 senconds even less.However, the labels are very important and I can't take them away,what should I do to  reduce the loading time.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Wang,

Is there a particular need to label on the client? Why map label in ArcMap and use MapImageLayer instead. Labeling on the server is way better and faster.

0 Kudos
wangchao1
New Contributor II

At the earliest,we draw the picture and label on the sever,but we found that it looks better to draw them on the client. And now base on our business we should do it this way.  we tried to just use a label and a picture instead, but when the label are to long,and labes are closed to each other, some labels will be covered, and we found that the featureLayer can solve this problem,however, the features will come out after 30 seconds even longer. 

0 Kudos