Mobile geolocation and orientation tracking accuracy

10-27-2018 08:03 AM
MichaelLodes2
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to build a tracking application with the geolocation api. The goal is a smooth and accurate mobile position tracking for pedestrians. When using the esri track widget I run into accuracy problems. The location point jumps around a lot and there are deviations from the actual location up to a few kilometers. 

Track current location | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.9 

Having tried the geolocation options like "maximumAge", "timeout" & "enableHighAccuracy" there were no significant improvements.

I also testet it on different devices and the issues where the same for all off them (iOs, Android).

Having tried different applications this one worked quite good. https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/geolocation-orientation.html . I also like how the device heading works in this example but couldnt figure out how to use it with the arcgis javascript api.

So are there any tools for the javascript 4.9 api that I could use? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelLodes2
Occasional Contributor

Robert Scheitlin, GISP‌, do you know sth for us? I am wondering nobody is having the same problem as ours.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

I do not use the tracking widget or geolocation much at all so I have no input on this.

0 Kudos
BobCowling2
New Contributor III

@MichaelLodes2 did you ever resolve this? I believe this is definitely an issue that has been overlooked by esri for sometime now. 

0 Kudos
MichaelLodes2
Occasional Contributor
No, unfortunately we could not solve that.
0 Kudos