Labeling of decimals, rounding/padding using LabelLayer

Jump to solution
09-25-2015 08:35 AM
ZoeZaloudek
Occasional Contributor

I have a web map with a FeatureLayer (polygons).  I’m using a LabelLayer to label the polygons with a double-type field.  My values in the field go to the hundredth, but some don’t. (example image below)  I want to show all labels with values to the tenth, which means some will have to be rounded, and others will have to be padded on the right with “.0”

I know how to do this in ArcMap - go to the layer’s attribute table, go to the field’s numeric properties, set how many decimal places to show, also check the ‘Pad with zeros’ box. How do I accomplish this with my web map? I can’t find a decimal places setting in the documentation for LabelLayer...   Is there a round/pad function I can use in the textExpression of the addFeatureLayer method?  Or is there a way to set field display properties in the map service?

decimallabels.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Zoe Zaloudek​ You can do this using the LabelLayer class by specifying the number of places. Here's a jsbin that shows how to do this:

JS Bin - Collaborative JavaScript Debugging

And here's the relevant bit of code:

// Setup label properties

var statesLabels = new LabelClass({

labelExpressionInfo: {"value": "{AVE_FAM_SZ}"},

fieldInfos:[{

"fieldName": "AVE_FAM_SZ",

"format": {"places":2}

}]

});

// Apply label info to the feature layer

states.setLabelingInfo([statesLabels]);

View solution in original post

10 Replies
TyroneBiggums
Occasional Contributor III

You can round up to the nearest tenth programmatically with Math.ceil10(yourValue, -1) if that helps. But, since the data is coming from a FeatureLayer that might not work out very well. Maybe this will at least steer you in the right direction.

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

Have you looked at this section: Format info window content | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

I wonder if any of the techniques you can use for formatting infoWindows would work on a labelLayer?

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Zoe Zaloudek​ You can do this using the LabelLayer class by specifying the number of places. Here's a jsbin that shows how to do this:

And here's the relevant bit of code:

// Setup label properties

var statesLabels = new LabelClass({

labelExpressionInfo: {"value": "{AVE_FAM_SZ}"},

fieldInfos:[{

"fieldName": "AVE_FAM_SZ",

"format": {"places":2}

}]

});

// Apply label info to the feature layer

states.setLabelingInfo([statesLabels]);

ZoeZaloudek
Occasional Contributor

Well, I got LabelClass to work, so I've partially succeeded.  However, setting the fieldInfos>format>places doesn't seem to be doing the trick for me.  Here's the code I implemented.  The variables flayer, field and labelCDvSymbol are defined earlier in my code.

var labelsCDs = new LabelClass({labelExpressionInfo: {"value": "{"+field+"}"}, minScale: 10000000});
labelsCDs.fieldInfos = [{"fieldName": field, "format": {"places": 1}}]; 
labelsCDs.symbol = labelCDvSymbol;
console.log(labelsCDs);
fLayer.setLabelingInfo([labelsCDs]);

The labels show the correct field and font/symbol, but they're still just not rounded/padded to the tenth.  I can see in the console that the fieldInfos>format>places has been set to 1.

labelplaces.pnglabelplaces2.png

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Put that into the constructor of the LabelClass

var labelsCDs = new LabelClass({
    labelExpressionInfo: {"value": "{"+field+"}"}, 
    minScale: 10000000,
    fieldInfos: [{"fieldName": field, "format": {"places": 1}}],
    symbol: labelCDvSymbol
});  
console.log(labelsCDs);  
fLayer.setLabelingInfo([labelsCDs]); 

You cannot set the properties of a class after it's been created. You have to use methods (which aren't available for this class).

ZoeZaloudek
Occasional Contributor

Hm, I edited my code to match, but that still didn't do it.  The label symbol looks different though.

labelplaces3.png

It must be something else in my code that's messing it up.  There's a lot more going on in addition to the label changes - changing symbology, text, etc.  I figured out how to share on JS Bin (which I didn't even know about until I saw the examples that Kelly Hutchins posted-thanks!) and put the whole thing here:

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The problem was the version of the API. It works in v3.14, but not 3.13.

ZoeZaloudek
Occasional Contributor

Aha!  That was it!  The labels round/pad correctly now.  Thanks for digging into this with me!

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

Does this work for FeatureLayers?  The documentation specifically says ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer.

0 Kudos