Is there any book for ArcGIS javascript API 4.x?

05-17-2017 10:07 AM
FaisalMushtaq
New Contributor II

I searched on internet any good book related to ArcGIS javascript API.

Found one but perhaps that makes use of API version 3 which is quite different from version 4.

So I am wondering if there is any book available in market from Amazon or else where that targets version 4.x of ArcGIS javascript?

Please guide. Thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

The only one I'm aware of is by Rene Rubalcava‌ :

Intro to ArcGIS API 4 for Javascript

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

I have to wonder if Esri will need to make more progress with porting functionality from 3.x before we see more literature. There is still a bit of important functionality that needs to be ported, not to mention some bugs and intricacies resolved in 3.x that have cropped-up again in v4.

I like the progress on the one hand, but on the other, we have invested years into creating a mature product based upon the 3.x line, Esri's suggestion to "re-write" rather than port 3.x-based applications really stings! IMHO, API upgrades shouldn't be so obtuse, but I understand the reasoning, and it is certainly not unprecedented. We re-wrote our mapping app from Silverlight (not even Esri-based) before switching to the JSAPI a few years ago.

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I have a few 3.x based apps and I'm not even going to bother attempting to re-write them until a lot more functionality is ported to 4.x. I'm not woo'd by ESRI's siren's song of flashy 3-D visualizations. In some ways, I feel this is a endemic of a larger problem with ESRI- playing catch up. ArcGIS Pro will replace Arcmap but is so crippled with missing functionality. Same goes for the Javascript API. I've never been LESS excited for an ESRI UC as this year. The only question is, compared to previous software versions, what precentage of complete functionality are we at this year?

ThomasSolow
Occasional Contributor III

Siren's song?  No my friend, this is no siren's song.  Behold the future of GIS: JS Bin - Collaborative JavaScript Debugging 

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

The future is a 5 mile tall obelisk rave party over London?

This isn't my future, and arguably that's not A LOT of other people's futures as well. What IS my future is migrating my 3.x apps which require selecting features within a featureLayer, a refresh interval on featureLayers, modifying graphics, changing the renderer, a color picker, feature table, measurement widget, editing, and the draw toolbar (all things STILL listed as "coming soon" as of version 4.3).

ThomasSolow
Occasional Contributor III

I was trying to inject some levity into the discussion, apologies if I didn't succeed.

It's worth noting that, while a lot of the functionality you mention is missing a plug-and-play solution, the building blocks to accomplish most (maybe all) of those things are exposed in the API.  I've had to tackle most of those issues myself, building on top of the API.

The building blocks are really what's exciting to me: the potential is there to build some really cool things, in 2D and 3D.

0 Kudos
FaisalMushtaq
New Contributor II

Thanks. Steve.

I bought this book. Meanwhile your profile logo looked like first to me, as if you downvoted it 

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

It's symbolic. I'm down voting the JIVE forum system that ESRI adopted. It's a mess compared to the old forums.

0 Kudos
FaisalMushtaq
New Contributor II

Cool

0 Kudos