How to find polyline geometry for popup location after query

Jump to solution
07-20-2016 01:07 PM
LoriEmerson_McCormack
Occasional Contributor

I have combined the two query samples in 4.0 that search features and then display them in a list in a side panel.  Everything works except the geometry of the searched feature is lost within the popup.

The popup works great when clicking on a feature itself.

However, when clicking on one of the list items in the side panel, the popup will only open if  (1.) it's docked to the side, or (2.) a feature was already clicked then the popup stays in that location regardless of the feature chosen from the list.  The zoom-to action won't work within the docked popup either.

Also, how can I set the symbol to display for each popup?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MuktaPuri
New Contributor II

You can look at this post on suggestions to find the point on the polyline to show the popup at: What is the best way to find a point or midpoint for a highlighted polyline from the 'geometry' or '...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MuktaPuri
New Contributor II

We were trying to solve the exact same problem in our project too.

Unfortunately, we haven't found a solution yet for finding the location on the map to display the popup for the polyline (we would preferably want to display this at the midpoint of the line).

However, we have been able to find a way to get the graphic to display for the selected polyline. We first clone the graphic for each of the search results when creating the list of the results. We use this saved graphic and display it on the graphics layer on the map when the user clicks the search result.

Something like this:

// Fires when the search() method is called and returns its results.

searchWidget.viewModel.on("search-complete", function (evt) {

if (evt.results && evt.results.length > 1) {

// clone the graphic for each search result like so and save it somewhere:

var savedGraphic= evt.results[0].results[0].feature.clone();

}

});

0 Kudos
MuktaPuri
New Contributor II

You can look at this post on suggestions to find the point on the polyline to show the popup at: What is the best way to find a point or midpoint for a highlighted polyline from the 'geometry' or '...

LoriEmerson_McCormack
Occasional Contributor

Mukta Puri,

The midpoint worked beautifully so that the popup is located along my polyline!!

I used it in the ESRI 4.0 API Sample titled "Query features from a FeatureLayerView" using a polyline featurelayer.

if (result) {

var mid = Math.round(result.geometry.paths[0].length / 2);

result.geometry.x = result.geometry.paths[0][mid][0];

result.geometry.y = result.geometry.paths[0][mid][1];

view.popup.open({

features: [result],

});

}

0 Kudos
LoriEmerson_McCormack
Occasional Contributor

I discovered why my popup won't display on the polyline after I perform a QueryTask.  The spatial reference is mixed up.  My map's spatial reference is from the ESRI basemap which is Web Mercator.  My polyline feature layer is State Plane.  When I click on the map, I get Web Mercator x,y points.  After the QueryTask, the x,y points of one of the polyline path points is in State Plane.  So, when I set the popup location set to the feature geometry based on the State Plane points, the popup won't display unless the popup is docked.  The zoom-to feature in the docked popup doesn't work either.

So...I am trying to project my query results features.  I am getting an error in my ProjectParameters.  I am using alerts only for debugging purposes.  I'll change to console.log later.

0 Kudos
LoriEmerson_McCormack
Occasional Contributor

The solution to the geometry issue was simple, as answered in another post:

how to set spatialReference in 4.0

0 Kudos