How do I view widgets on the map when the map div is too short?

Jump to solution
06-03-2021 12:58 PM
MattStayner
Occasional Contributor II

I have a lot of widgets I want to show on left side of my map. If my is too short (like on a smartphone), the widgets don't all show (see here). Is there a way to wrap/overflow the widgets that don't fit on the display?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hi Matt,

There is only so much that responsive apps can do with the available real estate. At some point they just run out of space to put things.

In that case you need to have another option up your sleeve, which is to make the app adaptive, in addition to it being responsive. What do I mean by this? An adaptive app would check the current screen dimensions and when a certain limit has been reached (ie it is too small) then the app's layout would be changed to adapt to the new form factor.

One idea could be combining some of your widget buttons into one 'breakout' button, ie one button that expands to show all the widget buttons when pressed.

Esri's web apps do just this. Just take a look at their CSS to see what I mean.

Mark

Regards,
Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hi Matt,

There is only so much that responsive apps can do with the available real estate. At some point they just run out of space to put things.

In that case you need to have another option up your sleeve, which is to make the app adaptive, in addition to it being responsive. What do I mean by this? An adaptive app would check the current screen dimensions and when a certain limit has been reached (ie it is too small) then the app's layout would be changed to adapt to the new form factor.

One idea could be combining some of your widget buttons into one 'breakout' button, ie one button that expands to show all the widget buttons when pressed.

Esri's web apps do just this. Just take a look at their CSS to see what I mean.

Mark

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
MattStayner
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @mdonnelly ,

That makes sense. I've noticed how some of the Esri sample apps change based on screen size. I will go with that route.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos