GeometeryService vs client side geometry engine in AGS JS API 3.13

Jump to solution
04-10-2015 02:33 PM
BhavinSanghani
Occasional Contributor II

Is client side geometry engine (esri/geometry/geometryEngineAsync and esri/geometry/geometryEngine) classes are replacement of GeometryService to avoid server trip? What are the differences between GeometryService and client side geometry engine?

I don't see GeometryService project() in client side geometry engine. Is there any plan to implement it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Bhavin,

Is client side geometry engine (esri/geometry/geometryEngineAsync and esri/geometry/geometryEngine) classes are replacement of GeometryService to avoid server trip?

A: Yes

What are the differences between GeometryService and client side geometry engine?

A: Beside the fact already stated that it does work client side, The GeometryEngine does not support all the functionality that GeomertyService does, like Project. At the Dev Summit this year when talking with JS API team members the mention of Project for the GeometryEngine came up and the main issue will be having the project transformations and all WKID info on the client is a large amount of data and would take a while to download. So it is being discussed but no firm pans to implement it, (to the best of my knowledge).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Bhavin,

Is client side geometry engine (esri/geometry/geometryEngineAsync and esri/geometry/geometryEngine) classes are replacement of GeometryService to avoid server trip?

A: Yes

What are the differences between GeometryService and client side geometry engine?

A: Beside the fact already stated that it does work client side, The GeometryEngine does not support all the functionality that GeomertyService does, like Project. At the Dev Summit this year when talking with JS API team members the mention of Project for the GeometryEngine came up and the main issue will be having the project transformations and all WKID info on the client is a large amount of data and would take a while to download. So it is being discussed but no firm pans to implement it, (to the best of my knowledge).