Feature layers added to map with visible property false cannot be toggled on/off.

Jump to solution
07-13-2016 02:26 PM
MuktaPuri
New Contributor II

I have found that if we add a Feature Layer to a map with visible property set to false like so, we cannot toggle the layer back on by just setting the visible property back to true:

// If visible is false when adding the feature layer, cannot toggle the layer back on by clicking the button

var featureLayer = new FeatureLayer({

url: "https://services.arcgis.com/V6ZHFr6zdgNZuVG0/arcgis/rest/services/Landscape_Trees/FeatureServer/0",

visible: false

});

map.add(featureLayer);

However, if we set the visible property to true while adding the layer, the layer can be toggled on/off by setting visible property true/false.

Here is a JS Fiddle showing visible property false when adding the layer (Here is the bug):  JSFiddle

Here is a JS Fiddle showing visible property true when adding the layer: JSFiddle

Is there a workaround around this? Is the fix for this bug in the Esri backlog?

Note: some other layers (eg: vector tile layers) do seem to work ok even though the visible property is false when adding the layer. I have seen this bug only in the feature layer so far.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
UndralBatsukh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi there,

It is a bug.

This workaround works for me and hope it does for you. Don't set the visible property to false in the feature layer's constructor. Instead set the FeatureLayer.visible = false when layerview is created as shown below. 

view.whenLayerView(featureLayer)

.then(function(layerView) {

featureLayer.visible = false;

})

.otherwise(function(error) {

// An error occurred during the layerview creation

});

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mukta,

I see the same thing here. I even tried to set the visibility on the layerView as well.

Maybe Rene Rubalcava​ or Undral Batsukh could help

0 Kudos
UndralBatsukh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi there,

It is a bug.

This workaround works for me and hope it does for you. Don't set the visible property to false in the feature layer's constructor. Instead set the FeatureLayer.visible = false when layerview is created as shown below. 

view.whenLayerView(featureLayer)

.then(function(layerView) {

featureLayer.visible = false;

})

.otherwise(function(error) {

// An error occurred during the layerview creation

});