Feature Layer slow load

04-03-2015 07:33 AM
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey everybody,

I am using the following feature layer in one of my maps.

Layer: States (ID: 4)

It takes a long time for it to load, or when I zoom in to re-load.

Eventually I want to add this layer Layer: Counties (ID: 3)  , but I can only imagine how long it will take to load this one.

Is there anything I can do to speed this up? I cant add it as a ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer because I need to do some mouse-over events with it.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried loading it as a FeatureLayer in MODE_SELECTION, just for the events and again as as ArcGISTileMapServiceLayer for the displayed?  It seems like I've rigged around a project before where I had performance issues. 

Also the help under Reference Feature Layer Best Practices | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript  described tips for performance on FeatureLayers. I haven't found the magic number yet, but setting a different maxAllowableOffset might help.

JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tim,

Try downloading the data and then you can host it on your own ArcGIS Server instance.  You may have better performance that way.

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Sadly I don't have ArcGIS Server, but thanks for the hint!

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

You can always try another REST data service and see if that has better performance. The USGS's National Map has several REST services you could draw upon. States and counties can be found in this particular service:

http://services.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/govunits/MapServer

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Thanks for the link. The only problem is, I need the income data associated with the states/county boundaries.

0 Kudos
MarkReidy
New Contributor II

When I went to the end point and ran a query against that layer

Query: States (ID: 4)

it returned an error, I believe there is something wrong with that map service. I also tried the county layer and it had problems also.