Esri JSAPI 3.x iOS 13 and iPadOS Support

10-16-2019 03:51 PM
StefanSchweigert
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I was looking for information relating to support for Safari within iOS 13 and iPadOS for the Esri JSAPI 3.30 release but couldn't find any. We've noticed some issues with map interactions around drawing, creating new features, measurements, and others that worked in iOS 12, but no longer in 13.

Thanks, Stefan

Tags (2)
15 Replies
AnneFitz
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Stefan,

I'm sorry to hear you are seeing issues with our API and iOS 13. I tested some of our 3.x samples (Drawing Tools, Measurement Widget, Add Graphics to a Map) in Safari on an iPhone and an iPad with iOS 13.1.3 and did not see any issues. Are these samples working for you?

If you could provide us with something more specific (i.e. a broken sample or some of your code) so that we can reproduce the issue, we might be able to better help you.

Thanks,

Anne

StefanSchweigert
New Contributor II

Hi Anne,

Thanks for taking a look so soon. I believe the source of the issue is on our end since those are working correctly, so we'll dig into the cause further. 

I was also wondering about your support of iPadOS since I didn't see it listed on the list of Supported Browsers.

Thanks, Stefan

0 Kudos
AnneFitz
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Stefan,

Our Mobile section in the supported browsers is meant to include smart phones and tablets, and the iPad also uses Safari on iOS. But thank you for pointing that out; we'll discuss and find a way to make this more clear in the future.

Thanks,

Anne

StefanSchweigert
New Contributor II

Thanks. We've noticed issues specific to the iPadOS Safari browser in our products that are based off the .NET Runtime, so we are treating it as a distinct platform during our testing across all products.

0 Kudos
AnneFitz
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry that was my mistake, I did not realize that iPadOS was recently released. I'll bring it up to the team and we will make sure that we test it separately.

StefanSchweigert
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response.

I was also wondering where I can find information as to what OS versions of iOS and Android are currently supported by the latest releases? I thought this information might be part of the release notes or in the 3.x guide?

0 Kudos
AnneFitz
Esri Regular Contributor

Browser support for 3.x is listed at https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/3/jshelp/supported_browsers.html. For evergreen browsers, we don't list specific version numbers.

I wanted to thank you for bringing iPadOS to our attention. We will be testing it and adding Safari on iPadOS to our list of supported browsers for the next release.

0 Kudos
StefanSchweigert
New Contributor II

Hi Anne,

For sure! We also follow a similar pattern of support for modern browsers.

My question is more specifically towards the mobile device's OS, not the browser. Since versions of Safari are tied to the operating system version, there are different behaviours that we've noticed when testing iOS 10 (10.3.4) as compared to 11 (11.4.1), which have required version-specific changes to be made. The link you provided doesn't list iOS versions.

Thanks, Stefan

0 Kudos
KennethLaMarca
New Contributor

We have also been encountering issues with devices running IOS 13 where similar devices running are not encountering any issues. Primarily feature layer touch events is where we are seeing issues. I have updated our dev environment to the ESRI JS Api 3.31 and found that touch events work now when you double tap on those devices, but now you have to double tap on all mobile devices to get the feature layer click events to be successful. This is a very strange issue, as none of our code has changed in the dev environment between me switching us from ESRI JS API 3.27 and 3.31. 

0 Kudos