Does raster statistics improve drawing performance when drawn from javascript ImageServiceLayer?

Jump to solution
05-17-2016 11:41 PM
HenriLim
New Contributor II

I'm new with raster concept, so reason why I ask the question because when publish Image Service using arcpy, it shows

"Raster data source does not have statistics CODE 10010) and came across this:

10010: Raster data source does not have statistics—Documentation   (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Se...

and it said: "Your raster data source does not have statistics computed, which can degrade your raster display and potentially impact drawing performance."

My understanding is that statistics only needed if we want to do raster operation.

So if there is no operation on the raster (only display), do we need to calculate the statistics?

If raster has statistics, is it drawn faster when ArcGIS javascript call it from "ArcGISImageServiceLayer" API?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

According to the online documentation "Statistics are required for your raster and mosaic datasets to perform certain tasks, such as applying a contrast stretch or classifying your data".   So unless you need to perform any of these operations I would say it is not required.  You should however create overviews for enhanced drawing performance.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

According to the online documentation "Statistics are required for your raster and mosaic datasets to perform certain tasks, such as applying a contrast stretch or classifying your data".   So unless you need to perform any of these operations I would say it is not required.  You should however create overviews for enhanced drawing performance.