Disable collision for SceneView

08-06-2022 08:49 PM
StephenWitherden
New Contributor

Hi, all, I am using ArcGIS JS version 4.23 and exploring with the SceneView, specifically point cloud layers. 

I have changed the near clip plane to be very close (1) so people can zoom right up to the point cloud. Only problem is people want to be able to "fly through" the point cloud. 

It looks as though the point cloud is "colliding" with the camera and preventing movement. Is there any setting I can use to disable collision?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @StephenWitherden 

The problem is not that the camera is colliding with the points, but there is a conceptual navigation problem here: When zooming, the camera is moved towards the point where the mouse pointer is currently at. Depending on the distance to this point, the speed of the movement changes. The closer you get to a point, the slower the movement gets and you cannot go through it.

There is no direct solution to this problem yet, but maybe depending on your use case we could do something with some custom code. Could you provide us with some description of your use case and sample data/screenshots so we can understand better what you are trying to achieve?

Also concerning your other post, is the issue that the point cloud is too sparse? There are some things you could do here, like for example increase the pointsPerInch ratio. As mentioned before, with additional info we could maybe help you improve the scene.

Looking forward to hearing back from you,

Daniel

0 Kudos