Changing visual variables based on user interaction

Jump to solution
04-17-2017 11:20 AM
PhilipGriffith
New Contributor III

I'm trying to implement something like the data-driven opacity example shown here demonstrating the use of visual variables in version 4.3 of the ESRI JavaScript API, but with a twist: I'd like to alter the opacity values of the polygons when the user pans around the screen. I've been using the workflow described in this documentation, where you clone the renderer, create (or alter) an opacity visual variable object, then reassign it to the layer's renderer, but it doesn't seem to have an effect. What am I doing wrong? I expect the layer to be rendered using the new visual variables when the map is moved, but it doesn't look like the renderer has been altered in any way, or if the renderer has been altered, the polygons are not displayed any differently than before. Is this the correct workflow? Do I need to be adding a new, modified layer to the map and removing the old one?

Here's the code I'm adding to the example at the very end of the script tag, just after the legend is added to the map view:

view.watch("change", changeOpac);

function changeOpac() {
   var newRenderer = edLyr.renderer.clone();

newRenderer.visualVariables = [{
      type: "opacity",
      field: "EDUCBASECY",
      stops: [{value: 300, opacity: 0.1},
              {value: 750, opacity: 0.9}]
    }];

edLyr.renderer = newRenderer;
}

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhilipGriffith
New Contributor III

So it turns out it was an easy fix: I just had the wrong watch set! Changing it from "change" to "center" correctly triggers the kind of symbology change I was looking for. Does anyone know if this functionality can be applied to MapImage sublayers, by any chance, or does it only work with Feature Layers? I'd just like to save myself from going down a fruitless rabbit hole if I don't need to. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PhilipGriffith
New Contributor III

So it turns out it was an easy fix: I just had the wrong watch set! Changing it from "change" to "center" correctly triggers the kind of symbology change I was looking for. Does anyone know if this functionality can be applied to MapImage sublayers, by any chance, or does it only work with Feature Layers? I'd just like to save myself from going down a fruitless rabbit hole if I don't need to. Thanks!

0 Kudos