change draw toolbar tooltip text/bad documentation

Jump to solution
03-13-2013 10:32 AM
AlexGilvarry
New Contributor II
Is it possible to access and change the text that appears in the tooltip popup when using the drawing tool?

I'm using the Point drawing tool to to add both a point and text to my map, and would like to alter the text depending on what i'm doing. The documentation for the draw tool mentions being able to change the text, but asks you to click on a broken link for more information.

The Dojo site has some info on the tooltip dijit, but I'm unclear on how to access the default settings in the javascript API.

Any help is appreciated!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor
Alex,

Thanks for pointing out the bad link. We'll get that updated soon. The info on how to change the default text can be found in the 'Modify Dijit Text' section of this help topic:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/jshelp/localization.html

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
KellyHutchins
Alex,

Thanks for pointing out the bad link. We'll get that updated soon. The info on how to change the default text can be found in the 'Modify Dijit Text' section of this help topic:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/jshelp/localization.html
0 Kudos
DianaBenedict
Occasional Contributor III
Kelly

I found this link a while ago that describes all the digit text strings .. is this viable for now until ESRI updates the documentation? 

http://222.161.18.222:8080/arcgis_js_api/sdk/help/jshelp/inside_bundle.html
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Diana,

That link is a bit outdated - the easiest way to view all the current text strings is to view an app using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript  in a browser then open a developer console like Chrome Developer Tools or Firebug. In the console tab of the developer console type console.log(esri.bundle) to display the current text strings.

Kelly
0 Kudos
LeoLadefian5
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Kelly, I'm trying to find the location of the strings in webappbuilder in order to change the tooltips, can you help?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Leo,

WAB use the JS APIs default strings for the draw dijit. So it is the same as change the draw tooltips for the APIs draw dijit as Kelly speaks of above.

0 Kudos
CharlesBailey3

Robert I've looked everywhere for that tooltip for the select tool to no avail. Where is it hidden? Thanks, cob

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Cobb,

You need to have the proper require in your code:

"dojo/i18n!esri/nls/jsapi"
esriBundle
‍‍
esriBundle.toolbars.draw.addPoint = "blah";
0 Kudos
CharlesBailey3

I saw that one, but what about the select tool? Is it in the draw toolbar or standalone? Thanks Robert -cob

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Cob,

The select widget uses the jimu/dijit/FeatureSetChooserForMultipleLayers.js which uses jimu/dijit//DrawBox which uses the JS API Draw toolbar.

0 Kudos