Caching esri 4.0 js files

Jump to solution
06-21-2016 03:47 AM
UdyWa
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

Is there a way we can cache required esri javascript files rather than loading them each time from server?

require(["esri/views/MapView"])

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

The browser will handle caching the files for you. Once you load the CDN, it will just use the cache for every subsequent request. You can check this via the Chrome Developer tools, when you refresh a page, you'll see it comes (from cache).

cdn-cache.png

This is a benefit of using the CDN, as it will be cached across your applications.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Udy-

You have 2 choices: continue to reference the javascript modules via a cdn source or download and host the source on your webserver

David

0 Kudos
UdyWa
by
New Contributor III

The problem is, even if I downloaded the script files to local it still loaded from the server.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hmm, yeah I'm not seeing that. Sorry I don't know what to tell you . . .

0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

The browser will handle caching the files for you. Once you load the CDN, it will just use the cache for every subsequent request. You can check this via the Chrome Developer tools, when you refresh a page, you'll see it comes (from cache).

cdn-cache.png

This is a benefit of using the CDN, as it will be cached across your applications.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Rene, correct me if I am wrong, but the browser should cache the .js files regardless of source. I think I misunderstood the original question.  I was thinking that the issue was with the CDN . . .

0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

Maybe I worded it wrong. It will cache the files regardless of source, but it's a cache per domain. So whether they are hosted on your own server or via CDN, they'll get cached in the browser. I think we're saying the same thing though.

All I meant was that by using the CDN, like using the Google CDN for jQuery, is that it's now cached in your browser for all pages to use.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Ah, cache per domain, yes.  Yes I think we're saying the same thing as well - - -

0 Kudos