Best practice for creating feature layers

Jump to solution
10-10-2019 06:47 PM
BradBarnell
New Contributor III

I just upgraded from the 4.12 version of the JavaScript API to version 4.13.  The new version fixed many issues I was having with feature layer labels which is great.  However, now at 4.13 I have two feature layers that crash the print task, one feature layer that prints as orange dashed lines instead of solid white lines, and yet another feature layer that crashes the legend widget.  My question is if there is a best practice video for how to create feature layers that are compatible with the javascript API?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brad, sorry to hear about all the troubles. Could you share some code from the app(s) using the feature layers that are crashing the print service and are printing incorrectly? As well as the one crashing the legend widget? We haven't seen this behavior and would like to help figure out what is occurring.

As far as best practices goes, everything should be documented in the FeatureLayer documentation, but we do have tips and tricks when it comes to performance, etc. Here's a video and slides from recent presentations.

Working with Your Data Using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript Feature Layer

Working with Your Data Using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript Feature Layer - YouTube 

Working with Feature Layers in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brad, sorry to hear about all the troubles. Could you share some code from the app(s) using the feature layers that are crashing the print service and are printing incorrectly? As well as the one crashing the legend widget? We haven't seen this behavior and would like to help figure out what is occurring.

As far as best practices goes, everything should be documented in the FeatureLayer documentation, but we do have tips and tricks when it comes to performance, etc. Here's a video and slides from recent presentations.

Working with Your Data Using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript Feature Layer

Working with Your Data Using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript Feature Layer - YouTube 

Working with Feature Layers in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript 

0 Kudos
BradBarnell
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info Noah.  I submitted a ticket with ESRI technical support.