ArcGIS JS API 4.20 and Angular 12: build optimization is failing

Jump to solution
08-19-2021 07:40 AM
NicoleSulzberger
Occasional Contributor

We have migrated our angular application to angular 12. Now the build optimization does not work anymore.

When started up a production build with optimization enabled, we get hundreds of these console logs:

NicoleSulzberger_0-1629383796686.png

We were able to partly resolve it by enabling optimization in angular.json

"optimization": true,

but setting the environment variable NG_BUILD_MANGLE to false. It's not that nice, but at least it still does part of the optimization.

see also https://indepth.dev/posts/1258/a-gentle-introduction-into-tree-shaking-in-angular-ivy

Are there other developer experiencing this issue? Will Esri support fixing this issue in further releases?

18 Replies
PeteVitt
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Andy, I will look into these

0 Kudos
PeteVitt

Hi Andy - I'm using the following to copy the esri library to the assets directory on my website:

angular.json file (within architect-->build)

"assets": [
              {
                "glob": "**/*",
                "input": "node_modules/@arcgis/core/assets",
                "output": "/assets/"
              },
I'm referencing the local build of the library on my website in my map component code file inside the ngOnInit function using: esriConfig.assetsPath = 'assets/';

I've confirmed that the assets folder is copied to my website and contains an esri subdirectory with all the ESRI resources, including  the 'libtess.wasm' file which is throwing a 404 error.  

Any other thoughts of what could be causing the problem I'm having?

Thanks

Pete

to my website 

0 Kudos
NicoleSulzberger
Occasional Contributor

I had a similar issue, but in my case my webserver IIS did not know the mime type .wasm. I had to configure it. 

File name extension: wasm

MimeType: application/wasm

PeteVitt

Thanks Nicole - that did the trick.  Strangely it was working before the angular 12 upgrade without the wasm MIME type in iis

Pete

0 Kudos
JeroenBloemscheer
New Contributor II

Now that angular 13 is released, can you confirm this is compatible with

ArcGIS JS API 4.20?

0 Kudos
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor

Confirmation is in-progress for 4.21 and /next. I'll post any updates to this repo: https://github.com/Esri/jsapi-resources/tree/master/esm-samples/jsapi-angular-cli.

PeteVitt

Hi Jeroen -  I haven't had a chance to upgrade yet --  I'll post when I do the upgrade.  

Pete

PeteVitt

the upgrade to angular13 went well.  Using arcgis javascript 4.22 -- no problems

RedCanzian
New Contributor

I had a similar issue with the "optimization" param, but more subtle. There were no build or runtime errors, but the map was not working. I didn't want to turn off the optimization, so after hours of troubleshooting, I found out that there's a problem with ESBuild 🫠 (I'm using Angular 17). Details here: https://github.com/Esri/jsapi-resources/tree/main/esm-samples/jsapi-angular-cli#known-issues

Bottom line: Always use the official repo to get started with something consistent!

0 Kudos