WFS in flex

10-07-2010 10:26 AM
BryanLin
New Contributor
Does anyone have an experiences with adding WFS layers in Flex? I was able to find something online from the Dev Summit of 2009 and it seems to be working great until i hit a road block:

I want to be able to grab the fields from the wfs layer, but in order to do so, I need to query it. The issue with this is that it will query the entire wfs layer which could take forever and in my case, it crashes my browser. I want to say this is a design flaw but any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
GregWilson
New Contributor
Did you ever find any help?  And if so, would you mind passing some along?  A project I am working on requires adding WFS layer types and so far I'm at a loss.
0 Kudos
AaronGilliland
New Contributor III
I have a "not able to load features" error when adding a WFS to the ESRI Flex Viewer. I don't know why exactly since I can't retrieve any viable stack trace.

When running fiddler (a web service call program) I can see that with my panning and zooming it is making the requests properly and getting valid responses. This seems to be an issue in the viewer application only.
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
There is no support in the out-of-the-box Flex Viewer for WFS (i.e. vector data), only for WMS (i.e. image). Same is true for the API.
0 Kudos
MattiasEkström
Occasional Contributor III
Any plans to add support for WFS in the API and the Flex Viewer? I would like to see that.
0 Kudos
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
Team,

Any update on API (Flex 3.4, JavaScript 3.6) supporting WFS?

Recently, facing problems with WFS, when conducting ArcGIS API integration with WFS services from third-party panoramas' server.

As non-developer, I would like to listen to some advice.

Regards,
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Any update on API (Flex 3.4, JavaScript 3.6) supporting WFS?

No, no change in that regards. The API supports WMS and WMTS, but not WFS.

If you're interested in WFS support, you might want to add your vote to http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=08730000000bteYAAQ ("Add a WFSLayer to the web APIs" created by Mattias). Also, specify if you're looking for read-only access or WFS-T (transactional support). The latter is more complicated. Also, which sort of specific WFS servers/software you need access to, because different WFS implementations tend to be a bit different from each other, making it hard to support all possible flavors.
0 Kudos
larryzhang1
New Contributor III

... you might want to add your vote to http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=08730000000bteYAAQ ("Add a WFSLayer to the web APIs" created by Mattias). Also, specify if you're looking for read-only access or WFS-T (transactional support). The latter is more complicated. Also, which sort of specific WFS servers/software you need access to, because different WFS implementations tend to be a bit different from each other, making it hard to support all possible flavors.

Thx, Bjorn,

DONE with a vote. Thx again!
0 Kudos