Weird Exclamation Point Error When Zooming Into Feature Layer Feature

03-19-2012 09:47 AM
CaseyBentz
Occasional Contributor II
I am getting an error message that I have never seen before.  I am using a datagrid to hold the attributes, including the geometry of a graphic, and allowing the user to double-click the row to zoom to the feature.  On some features when I zoom in from the full extent, the screen goes black then white with a big exclamation point in the center.  However, when I zoom in and then try to double-click to zoom there is no error. 

I have found an Adobe forum post, http://forums.adobe.com/thread/693187, pointing out that this is the out of memory notification of the Flash player.

The error you are seeing is the new out of memory notification. It is basically shielding the user when memory usage gets near the system resource cap. The best course of action here (if you own the content) is to check your application for high memory usage and correct the errors. If you don't own the content, it would probably be best to contact the owners and make them aware of the issue you are seeing.

Could memory really be the issue in such a simple application? I have included a short video clip of what happens.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KristopherHayne
New Contributor
we are also getting the error as well, I was wondering if this is something that ESRI is going to look into or Adobe for a fix?
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
You didn't say what version you are using.

Not sure what "datagrid" you are talking about, or if the zoom to level is set in the config for it.  But, this was often caused by a known bug in earlier versions of the FV app.

If it is the same issue, when there is a selection, and you zoom in enough that the selected feature is off the extents of the map (the reason for the question about zoom level being set in config), you will get the grey exclamation point of death.

Was fixed in FV32 and later.

also a workaround by removing glow filter.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/73766-Grey-exclamation-mark-on-polyline-popups-in-Viewer-3.1?highli...

Anyway, just thought it might be related,

R_
0 Kudos
KristopherHayne
New Contributor
Sorry we are running Flex 3.x and Adobe version 11.3. The error occurs when running the client for periods of time, as it constantly
queries our database. The user does not have to zoom in or zoom out to receive the error the just need to keep it running a period of time, i.e.. 8 hours.

The best course of action for my understanding is to check the System.totalMemory property in AS3 to monitor the memory usage
that the Flash Player is taking up. This will allow us to see how much memory is used, where leaks are and allow us to optimize our
content based on this property. I was wondering if this something that ESRI has noted in outstanding issues from other clients and if there has been a patch / release put in place or something that we can do to correct this issue?
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
Guess that doesn't apply then.

Hopefully this post is in time for ESRI to look into it before the release of 3.4 (didn't know it was even available yet).

R_
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Kristopher,

There is a memory leak in the QueryWidget that esri has fixed in 3.4. Are you using the query widget? if so you can see the code fix at this link:

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-viewer-flex/commit/69b34e21bab6f7f599c4c7a18be77803a6b8df8b
0 Kudos
KristopherHayne
New Contributor
We do use components but not the exact widget itself, I have been in touch with our developers about this issue that we are facing, They may have suggestion as well. Thanks for the info it may help.
0 Kudos