Dear Gurus, please help me find dll for Esri ArcGIS WPF after successful nuget installation

11-23-2017 09:09 AM
GregLibenson
New Contributor

With about 30 years of software development expertise (15 years in .Net) and recently earning certificate ArcGIS for Server REST API, I tried to use code samples based on Esri.ArcGISRuntime and Esri.ArcGISRuntime.WPF.  

After successfully installing the Esri.ArcGISRuntime and Esri.ArcGISRuntime.WPF through NuGet, I didn't find WPF among referenced dlls.  Browsing through my computer, I couldn't find it either.  What dll should I use, please ?

Thank you in advance,

Greg, Ottawa, Canada

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you referring to the nuggets in this NuGet link? or are you beyond that stage

rscheitlin‌ this is 'you'-speak... out of my domain

0 Kudos
GregLibenson
New Contributor

Thank you, Dan, for your reply.  I created the new WPF application in Visual Studio 2012 (.Net 4.5.2), installed Esri.ArcGISRuntime and Esri.ArcGISRuntime.WPF as recommended on some Esri code sample webpage and inserted "xmlns:esri= ... 2013" and "<esri:Map Name="MyMap" ... and/or <esri:MapView Name="MyMapView".  It didn't want to find "Runtime.Core.Net.DLL" in "client32".  Or if found, recommended to find a valid one.

Would be happy to provide more details or clarifications, if needed. 

It's crucial for me as a member of one of the government department teams to be able to implement Esri ArcGIS in .Net applications.

Greg

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

WPF .Net development and NuGet is not something I do much of. I am tagging another space that has people that will likely be able to help.

https://community.esri.com/community/developers/native-app-developers/arcgis-runtime-sdk-for-wpf?sr=...

GregLibenson
New Contributor

Thank you, Robert, for your reply.  What is your preferred software technology to create web GIS, please ?

JavaScript, Adobe Flex swf, Python or something else ?

In our team, I don't decide what technology to use, but I'm pretty open to any technology, even new for me, like Adobe Flex.

Have a good day,

Greg 

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

It sounds like you to need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 - for more information please see System requirements—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET (WPF) | ArcGIS for Developers.

Cheers

Mike

GregLibenson
New Contributor

Thank you, Mike, for your response.  I'm still feel confused about something related to Esri ArcGIS.  I'm not interested in ArcGIS Online.  As my task is to start using ArcGIS Viewer for JavaScript, I'd like to ask my questions below:

- What exactly is a difference between Viewer and API for ArcGIS ?

- Why both GitHub Esri/basic-viewer-template and GitHub Esri/viewer-master, when zip is downloaded and extracted,  complains about parameter 3 of null in init.js or compains about missing files, when index.html is opened in the browser ?

- Can ArcGIS API for JavaScript be used instead of viewer ?

Greatly appreciate in advance,

Greg

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately, I think you posted your original question in the wrong forum. This forum - ArcAPI - is for a 3rd party Python-based API for esri's arcpy.

I recommend summarizing your project and posting the question in the JavaScript forum (it sounds like you want to build a web application?): https://community.esri.com/community/developers/web-developers/arcgis-api-for-javascript 

Cheers

Mike 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

And please do not repost, unless you start with a fresh question and close this one.  you can try https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2258?sr=search&searchId=047e84bd-9920-4115-ae5e-050988fcdd08&sea...‌ to move the post to one of the other areas.

Good tips on how to get the most out of your question/post  https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback/blog/2016/08/15/community-news-and-tips-how-t...‌      

re: you're mention of Adobe Flex....I would stay away from that since it is basically dead.  Try the JavaScript API as mentioned above, or some of the Web Appbuilder options (I have a /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/03/09/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-customization-resource-list?sr=search... with many link that might help you see if that is a solution for you).  Keep in mind that web appbuilder will have a least a little dependancy on ArcGIS Online, so if you are really trying to avoid that, the Javascript API would be a better option.

0 Kudos