Is there a way to allow clients to see web apps on AGOL without sharing publically?

02-05-2020 08:05 AM
KaitlynAbrahamson
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I am trying to find a way to allow my clients to see my web apps on AGOL, but I don't want to share the data publicly.  I want them to have their own login credentials so the data stays private and they only see their data, but I have been told I can't add users on my organization that are not a part of my organization (e.g. clients). 

I have considered creating individual organization accounts on AGOL, but that seems wasteful.  I would like to host my own data through Enterprise, but that doesn't seem to solve my problem with adding clients.  I thought about the AEC project delivery system, but what I offer is services, not really products.  I'm not really familiar with Hub, but I'm not sure I can add clients on that either.  Help!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Do these users have existing ArcGIS Online organizational accounts? If so, you can just add them to a group in your organization where the web apps are shared.

0 Kudos
KaitlynAbrahamson
Occasional Contributor

No, they don't.  Often times, they are made up of small communities that don't have the funds to create their own AGOL organization.

0 Kudos
David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

An AEC Project Delivery subscription is the easiest way to get data to your customers. You don't have to set up and customize the new org if they are not going to use, but you could turn it into a great client portal.

With an AEC Project Delivery Subscription you:

• Own and manage the GIS environment and content delivery on behalf of your customer
    • This makes it billable to your operating expenditures, not your capital expenditures
  • You get an isolated environment that scales with your project’s load (plenty of room in ArcGIS Online)
  • It's supported by your current investment in GIS
    • Enables review workflows like redlining, editing, and reviewing content
  • Grant customers access to project information anywhere, anytime and on any device
KaitlynAbrahamson
Occasional Contributor

Are the clients accessing this by login and privately?  Also, are they able to continually view web apps that I update and can I store multiple layers on this project?  My understanding of the project delivery system was that it was for one project delivery and not for continual web app serveces.

David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Yes, the clients would be accessing the content privately and yes, it needs to be used for a designated project. All the content that you want to share with a client goes into a group. Then you invite the new users from the project delivery subscription into that group as members from an external organization.

A project delivery subscription cannot be used to support the ongoing GIS maintenance of that client. If a project ends before the year is up, you can receive a pro-rated discount or use the project delivery subscription for another project for that same client. (one project after another)

Any updates that you make the data or maps will be seen immediately by the client's GIS system. Anything you can create in ArcGIS Online can be shared with your client.

0 Kudos
SeanConner
New Contributor

What is the pricing structure for the AEC Project Delivery subscription?  I've looked online and it's practically impossible to find information on it. Only information I can find is on a few presentations that are out there and the vanilla form website to register for more information.  Also have the same question as Kaitlyn in regards to long term web services/apps that are provided to clients, is it only for singular project delivery?  I work for a company that does many integrated projects across many different business lines, which could all be considered separate projects, technically.  For example, a wind farm job might have an on shore transmission cable routing and terrestrial survey, near shore geophysics and borings, deeper water geophysics and geotechnical investigations, etc.  

0 Kudos
David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Sean, you could use one project delivery subscription for the entire wind farm project you were describing. It would be an isolated environment for project stakeholders to view, add, and edit project data. At the end of the project, the data and Project Delivery organization can be transferred to the client or just incorporated into your system of record.

The cost is $1200/year, which includes 2 Creator user types with 500 credits each. You will use one Creator to be the admin for the new ArcGIS Online organization and the other will go to your client to log in and see the maps and apps. If you need additional Creators, Viewers, Editors, Field Workers, etc. they can get added on at their normal price. Luckily, this cost is billable to the project.

Thanks for your interest. We will be releasing more documentation soon. Feel free to ask more questions.

0 Kudos
SeanConner
New Contributor

David,

Are the project delivery subscriptions available for cloud hosted ArcGIS Enterprise deployments, or only for AGOL?  We have a large global enterprise GIS environment, with several smaller deployments of enterprise GIS across the globe.  I know that setting up a collaborative group from Enterprise GIS to AGOL can only be done with one collaborative group at a time.  This would be completely unfeasable for us, because we wouldn't be able to work with more than one client at a time delivering products if AGOL use is required.  Just wanted to get a little clarification.  Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Thanks for your follow up questions.

Yes, the project delivery subscription can be deployed in the cloud, but not on-premises.

Typically, a firm will set up a collaboration between their own Enterprise Portal and their ArcGIS Online org to sync/copy data between the two. Once layers & maps have been copied to your ArcGIS Online org, they can be shared with the project delivery organization using group sharing. This way the client stays out of your internal Portal and you can still automate some data delivery. If your project delivery subscription is deployed on ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud, then you could establish a collaboration directly between your Enterprise Portal and the project delivery Enterprise Portal in the cloud. 

0 Kudos