Underground Utility Locator Equipment with GPS

03-29-2023 01:15 PM
cedwards8511
New Contributor III

Out utility locator staff is looking to replace its current equipment and has asked if there is anything available that can also record GPS/GIS data.  I've searched around and found some locators that seem to have this capability, but I would like to know what others are using, to see what really works (or not).

• Is anyone out there using a locator with built-in GPS and/or GIS? 
  • What is the process you use to connect its data to your GIS? 
  • What would you do different in the future.
Tags (2)
14 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
cedwards8511
New Contributor III

I was looking at EOS but think that there is too much equipment required.  I don't think the field guys are going to want to wear all of that gear every time they go out.

I would be willing to get lower accuracy in exchange for a simpler rig.  I like the idea of the all-in-one units like Vivax-Metrotech RTK-Pro.  I just don't know enough about them.  https://www.vivax-metrotech.com/vivax-product/vloc3-rtk-pro/

0 Kudos
LarryMasters
Occasional Contributor

We purchased a couple of these locators recently. The GPS capabilities are simple to use and very impressive as far as accuracy goes. I have a monument that our guys shoot every morning with our Trimble units to make sure all the settings in Mobile Manager and Field Maps are good. The locator is just as good or better than those units. Our set up requires a cell service and RTK network to get the accuracy we are looking for. We like to keep everything within 4" and it will do that.

I can not answer for the quality of the locates as I have no used one in the field. It does have the capability to locate on several frequencies and settings to customize what you are looking for though.

Hope this helps.

Larry

TylerJones
New Contributor III

Hi Larry, 

Just to clarify, are you referring to the Vivax system or the EOS? We've demoed the Vivax and I was very impressed with the accuracy as well. We compared data from Bad Elf Flex RTK and the Vivax. For utilities purposes it was great! 

If you were referring to the Vivax, could you please explain your workflow for getting the locate data into the Arc universe. I am assuming there is some awkwardness because our Vivax Rep didn't have a ton of good answers about how to handle it. Feel free to direct message me if you want to talk about it. I work for a small water sewer system in the southeast.

Thanks!         

0 Kudos
LarryMasters
Occasional Contributor

Tyler,

They have their own web portal where the data is stored and you can bring it in using their map service. I am including their manual for that. It is isn't as automated as I would like, but it works. I got in touch with two of their guys; Matt Manning and Razvan Stefanoiu. They helped when things weren't going so well. All in all, it's like every other product entering the rest services world, starts slow, then gets better as customers needs are known. If I can help more, just let me know.

Good Luck,

Larry

TylerJones
New Contributor III

Thanks so much @LarryMasters . This documentation and contacts should be super helpful! PREVIEW

0 Kudos
LarryMasters
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to clarify that we went with the Vivax Metrotech.

Larry

0 Kudos
TylerJones
New Contributor III

Thanks for the question!

I have similar questions and I am curious what, if any, system you decided on.

Best 

0 Kudos
RWATT
by
New Contributor III

We tried a 3D-printed bracket from Eos that joined a Eos receiver to a VM locator . It did work, but depended on a phone maintaining connections to the locator (Bluetooth), Eos Receiver (Bluetooth), RTK Corrections (Cellular), and the Eos Receiver maintaining satellite connections. This was too much setup, and the bluetooth was too finicky. We've gone with the VM RTK-Pro instead to great effect. Field users love that it's all physical buttons, so no need to take off gloves and fuss with touchscreens. We stream points in automatically and have field users add line features separately to indicate where desktop review is needed. The Eos phone support is awesome, but their system is really just three systems in a trench coat. The VM online system is terrible to configure, but a dream to work with in the field.

Good luck,

Robert