Projecting a TIN on a building

04-26-2021 04:17 AM
Lukavdk
New Contributor

Hello!

I am trying to create a 'vertical' TIN but I cannot seem to make it happen yet!

I have got a 3D building on which I projected recipient points, see image. These points have X, Y and Z information and also information on noise levels on the building. I want to create a TIN based on these noise levels. 

Only now when I create a TIN, it only appears horizontally and on the ground surface. Does anyone know how I can drape the TIN over the 3D building ( I have also got a seperate layer of the building planes) or whether I can create a vertical TIN, which can be projected on the building, on every side!

I hope someone can help me with this!!

(when more information is required please let me know)

Regards,

Luka

Lukavdk_0-1619435552692.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Luka,

Been meaning to respond to this but only just got around to it. Unfortunately TINs cannot have vertical surfaces - they also cannot represent things like S shapes. The best you could do would be nearly vertical - ie: offset the points at the bottom of the wall vs the top.

I can think of a couple of different options for you:

• How about creating polylines coming out from the sides of the buildings to represent the noise levels. You would need to know the building side angle so you could make them perpendicular. The length of the line could represent the noise value and you could also colour them by the same attribute.
  • If you did want a TIN like surface then you could create individual triangular 3d polygon features. Symbology on this type of surface might be tricky though - you could attribute each triangle with a noise range and colour them that way.

I would be interested to see your final result if you are able to share a screenshot.

Lukavdk
New Contributor

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for your answer!

Your first option seems interesting. How would you propose of creating such polylines? As in total there are about 5.000 points and creating a polyline on each point seems a lot of work (and time). 

If this does not work I could try your second option, although I find it hard to think of how to do this at the moment.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Luka, 

What data format is your data in, and what do you wish to do with it?

If you have point cloud data, these are some options you can look into:

If you have the 3D analyst extension you can have a look at some of the tools, such as Classify Point Cloud Using Trained Model (3D Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

or these: An overview of the Point Cloud toolset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

KeirenMarshall_0-1627866238808.png

LAS To Multipoint (3D Analyst) tool does allow you to classify the data, this will let you keep the noise level in your modle.

Just for context:

LAS or LAZ is the point cloud data, and Multipoint is the 3D Vector data format 

Hope this helps

Keiren 

0 Kudos