importance of civil 3d

08-30-2021 12:46 PM
MohamadJouni
New Contributor III

I have good skills in using Civil 3d for infrastructure maps creation like(road design, sewer system, pressure network, surface...) 

my question is does Civil 3d  play great importance in the field of work in the Gis domain(spatial analyst or other field)?

9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Esri Community might not be the right platform to discuss non-Esri products.

You could post your query to the AutoDesk Community - Civil 3D Forum.

Think Location
0 Kudos
Micah-Callough
New Contributor III

We welcome these conversations here. With our Autodesk Partnership, we are working on many projects that integrate content between Esri and Autodesk products to provide context and scale through location for Design and Engineering workflows common to Autodesk products. 

0 Kudos
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

I work for an engineering company.  A lot of design work is done in Civil 3D.  We exchange data a lot.

As a GIS person, you don't need to know Civil3D, but you do end up knowing a lot about interoperability between the two.

0 Kudos
MohamadJouni
New Contributor III

thank you for you're time

but have knowledge in both domains can be a good idea to work on?

because I already have experience in civil 3d before I enter the Gis domain

0 Kudos
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

It will depend on what your objective is.

From your experience with Civil3D, I assume you have knowledge about the concepts of layers and geometry, and maybe graphic design.  If you've been working in geographic space, and not just plant space, you'll have covered coordinate systems. For what you want to achieve is that enough?  What do you want to achieve?  

0 Kudos
MohamadJouni
New Contributor III

what i want to achieve ?

Civil 3d is great software to deal with vector data especially when it comes to Infrastructure also Gis is Great software for deal with both raster and vector data and analyzing them 

so i think mix between them will help me a lot in my urban planning project  for a city

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@MohamadJouni , 

I have recently completed a year of testing and evaluation of the BIM360 platform that AutoDesk own. The interoperabiity between CAD and GIS has taken a giant leap closer together with the developments in this platform, and ESRI's GeoBIM offering that also provides the missing link between CAD and GIS on the GIS side. 

Principally, referrring to your question; BIM360 aggregates datasets, documents and collaboration tools in a Common Data Environment in the cloud. Civil3D acts as a Data Aggregator, and can connect ArcGIS Web services via the ArcGIS Connector plugin and reconciles/posts the data up to BIM360. So for that reason, it's very useful!

Secondly, with the growth of drone surveying, C3D provides a vital tool for digitising the survey. I wouldn't rely on GIS for this workflow.

David
..Maps with no limits..
MohamadJouni
New Contributor III

Thank you for you're time

Great review

0 Kudos
Micah-Callough
New Contributor III