3D inside buildings

01-16-2019 07:47 PM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III

Has anyone created 3D in ArcGIS to show the inside of buildings (hallways, crawlspaces, rooms, doors) that you can fly through and click on an asset, for example, a Fire Extinguisher or a pipe, and obtain attributes? I am looking to use 3D inside a campus that is more than a pretty picture, each feature's attributes would be accessible as well.

If you have, what software did you use?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GeorgeDailey
New Contributor II

Chris Andrews Jeff Archer Craig McCabe Patrick Wallis 3D Cities / Campuses‌ take a look at this query on 3D inside buildings. Any advice?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tim,

Sorry for the late reply, but you should look into ArcGIS Indoors.  This is a new product from Esri that will be released next month.  Here is a quick overview from last year's Developer Summit about this product and its basic capabilities. 

ArcGIS Indoors: An Introduction - YouTube 

And a blog post that might be helpful as well.

Esri’s awesome new indoor mapping solution is interactive and floor-aware 

Stay tuned for more information as the product nears release.

Jeff

TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III

I heard ArcGIS Indoors requires the installation of WiFi enabled GPS indoors or other types of "gadgets"? if this is true it will not work where I am. We just want to make 3D GIS of building interiors and have all the functions that we get in 2D GIS. 

I hope it is not as "inflexible" as ArcGIS Schematics which requires your data already be in a Geometric Network. Hence, the reason we do not use Schematics, but Visio instead. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @TimHayes , would you have access to LiDAR scanners, 

you could try scanning a room, and converting it into 3D, then add 3D feature layers into the scene. you can collect the 2D features and convert that into 3D in Pro, using the conversion tool at the top of the Pane under the View Tab. 

This may take time, but can be quiet effective 

0 Kudos