Using L/R Metro Areas in the Street Address Role

11-15-2019 02:45 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Pro 2.4.0

In our county we have both incorporated cities as well what we call Metro-Townships.  When creating the street address role with create locators, you are given the opportunity to provide field mapping for Left City, Right City, Left Metro Area, and Right Metro Area.

I have filled in the field mapping fields appropriately but I'm not getting a return as I had hoped, and I wonder if there is trick to get what I want. When a street address is matched against a segment with a L/R City code, it shows up in the returned address.  However, for those street addresses in the Metro Townships, no city information is returned.

Is there a trick to get my metro townships to show up in the returned addresses when appropriate; I could do some data editing on the centerlines used by the locator, but if don't have to...

Eric Anderson

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe, do you have a small sample of what the street data looks like? It would help to better understand the problem and your expectations.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Shana-  I think it's a data problem with some field mapping getting crossed;  I don't maintain that streets data, so I need to chase it down a little further.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe:

I was going to try and recreate the data by hopefully looking at the attributes of the data that was used to build the locator. Are you expecting the match result to include both the city and the metro area? Or the address could be in either the city or the metro area? Is the metro area an alternative to the city name? If so, you could try adding an alternate name table for City using the Alternate City Name alternate name table role. (I know, it’s a mouth full).

-Shana

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Are you expecting the match result to include both the city and the metro area?

Yes; one or the other as appropriate  The centerlines fc has 4 attributes :

City_L

City_R

Metro_L

Metro_R

If the the City_* are populated the Metro_* are null, and vice versa.  If the centerline is the boundary between a city and a metro, the City_* and Metro_* are populated accordingly. 

I've changed jobs, and don't have the access I used to have to the data source I originally used in my testing; I looked at a copy of it that I had written to a fgdb, and for whatever reason, the actual Metro Values are in the City fields and the Metro fields are all null; I hadn't noticed that till today when your response rang in.  It might just work as I hope; just haven't had the chance to test it out with data that has the proper attributes populated correctly....

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Shana-  I just tried it with data that is filled out correctly, and I don't get a suggestion with the Metro_*.  I'll zip up everything; gdb with street samples, locator, and the parameters in a text file and email it to you.

In my examples below, the even side of the street has City_R  where as the odd side of the street is Metro_L:

Shana Britt

0 Kudos