Suggestions and Address Locators

12-06-2019 11:42 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Pro 2.4.0

I have created a series of address locators using the ArcGIS Pro create address locator tool syntax in python.  In each of them I set set the enable_suggestions option to 'ENABLE'.  However, when I add any of them to an ArcGIS Pro session, the Use Suggestions check box is grayed out.  Is it possible to actually use suggestions with the older style of locators in ArcGIS Pro?

Brad Niemand

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe,

Locators created with the Create Address Locator tool do not support local suggestions.  Only locators created with the Create Locator tool support local suggestions in Pro.  You would need to publish those locators to ArcGIS Enterprise for suggestions to be supported in Pro.

Brad

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Brad.

The whole publish/share thing for geocoding services in pro has my head spinning.

If you look at my screen capture, you'll see Salt Lake County Geocoder, which is a composite of old style locators that is on our stand alone server and registered as an item in our AGOL so it's available to all of our users.  When it is added to an ArcGIS Pro session, suggestions are provided.  Of course, some of them are wonky, but that's what I'm trying to work out: create a series of locators that have valid suggestions.  I don't know if that's even possible with the old style locators.

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe,

There is a limitation with the old style locators where they would not verify the input house number during suggestions for performance reasons.  This was addressed with the new locators.  The only way around it is with the new locators.

Brad

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Truth be told, I'd like to fan the embers of the new locators back to life.  Creating them is the easy part; I've got all the python written.... Publishing/sharing is a challenge....

Look for a new thread about multi field versus single field coming soon in a forum near you....

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe,

Is there something that I can assist you with in regards to publishing/sharing?

Brad

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not yet.  But probably soon.  I need to figure out how to publish or share a locator (multi-role locator, not composite) such that our users can consume them as they do our old school published locators.  We have users that match addresses in the typical fashion; interactively and batch, but we also have tons of web apps county wide that do address verification that consume rest-end services. The latter is what I'm more concerned about. We have an internal portal as well as a public facing server, so for me it's complicated.

0 Kudos