Including the state in input address fields significantly slows down performance when batch geocoding with the Geocode Addresses tool

09-23-2020 10:46 AM
StephanieBosits
New Contributor III

I have published a geocode service from a composite locator which was created via the create locator tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.1. The Locator covers the entire state of New Jersey so it includes nearly 4 million address points along with road centerlines. With that being said maximizing performance has been a big issue. I have a table of address that I batch geocode in ArcGIS Pro as part of the performance testing. This table takes me 4 minutes and 30 seconds to complete. I noticed however, that when I leave out the state from my inputs the table takes 56 seconds to complete. The state values are all NJ in the input data used to create the locator and they are all NJ in the table I am batch geocoding. I am curious why there is such a big difference in performance and how I can assure that faster performance is achieved by our users. I could leave the state values out of my input data or provide guidance to users to not enter a state, but neither of these are ideal. 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Stephanie,

See the following doc topic all the way at the bottom.

Fundamentals of alternate name tables—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

The image at the bottom shows a fully normalized reference dataset where all cities are in the alternate city name table but the logic still applies.  You can keep the city in the primary featureClass but have all alternate city names for the primary city in the alternate city name table with the same CityID value.  You also wouldn't need a "Primary Name Indicator" fields either because the value from the primary featureClass is used as the primary.

At a basic level it would look something like this (obviously the Primary table would have many more fields).

Primary reference data:

City         | City JoinID

My City    | 1

My City 2 | 2

Alt Name Table:

Alt City              | Alt City JoinID

My City Alt1      | 1

My City Alt2      | 1

My City Alt3      | 1

My City 2 Alt1   | 2

My City 2 Alt2   | 2

My City 2 Alt3   | 2

0 Kudos
StephanieBosits
New Contributor III

Sorry let me rephrase the question, that was if multiple features have the same alternate look up names. Based on the example at the bottom of the doc you sent. If two of my streets are in the same city ( Mills St and Center St in this example) rather than having a unique city id for each street to link to the alternates, I should be able to use the same one for the same alternates shown below where cityid 2170 is removed and replaced with 658 correct?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Stephanie,

Yes, that is correct.  Instead of having a bunch of duplicated IDs for streets, you can use the same ID for each street in that city.

Brad

0 Kudos
StephanieBosits
New Contributor III
Brad,
I have attempted your suggestion numerous times and I always get inaccurate city name suggestions when I do, I have no idea where these suggestions are coming from. I simplified my data model and tried to accomplish this with a subset of roads data with only one alternate city name suggested and I see the same thing, do you have any suggestions? 
Here is my input roads data with a few streets within the same town selected, you can see the left cityID field and the right cityID fields are all populated with the same id that is in the related alternate names table. You can see that Mercerville is the only possible alternate city name. 
Left City Attribution and alternate city names table:
Right city attribution and alternate city names table:
Here are the alternate city related inputs when I create the locator:
Here is the suggestion I get for an address on one of the selected roads: 
Ewing is present in the alternate city name table but it is not the same as the full Ewing Township that is being suggested so I do not know where the suggestion is coming from:
Thank you for your time!
Stephanie
0 Kudos
StephanieBosits
New Contributor III

Hi Brad, I can get this to work with a many to one relationship i.e. multiple roads in a city use the same city id to relate to one alternate city name. When I have multiple alternate city names however and am trying to relate these to multiple roads within the same city via the same city id, this is where I run into issues. Do you have any suggestions? I don't want to make separate entries in the alternate name tables for each feature as it is killing performance. 

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Stephanie,

Sorry, I have been super busy.

What issue are you having when using multiple alternate city names?

Each alternate city name for a specific city (ex North Redlands, South Redlands) should have the same JoinID (ex 12345) in the alternate city names table.  If you primary reference data (the one with geometry) already has a city name (ex Redlands), this will be the primary city name.  All streets in the data that are in Redlands should have a city JoinID (ex. 12345).  This allows you to link in multiple alternate city names for Redlands.

If you use a fully normalized dataset where city isn't in the primary reference data, then the primary city name can be in the alternate city name table but with an extra field that indicates which city is the primary (determined by the "Primary Name Indicator" field in the alternate name table field mapping).

Hope this helps but let me know if you have any additional questions or issues.

Brad

0 Kudos