Does the Alias street name or alternate table need to include a shape?

08-31-2020 09:53 AM
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I tried everything. I have a table with a common id field and can't get it work. Thinking about creating another centerline dataset to include the shape. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

What was the error that you received?

-Shana

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

For the alias table.. A required input calls for street name. This would be the aliases or alternate street name field??

It appears the missing street name is not fatal.. Its a data transfer error..

Sorry for the late reply.. Been out of town..

And I appreciate your help.. 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

The yellow messages are warnings and if you were using Pro 2.6 I believe that warning message would have a link to a help topic for more explanation, but it looks like an issue with the street data is causing an error with building the locator, not the warning about the empty value for one of the records. Run the Check Geometry tool on your data to see if there are any geometry errors. If there are multipart features or true curves in the data, the tool will fail to build the locator.

Which version of Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

The Check Geometry error now.. I have my centerline file in SQL. Its telling me I need a shapefile or Personnel GDB to run it..

I thought for sure I updated to 2.6.0...

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

Since your data is in sde you won't be able to use the Check Geometry tool, you will have to use topology rules to check for the geometry errors that the tool looks for. If you have edit privileges or are able to edit a version of the data, you can check for multiple parts with the Must Be Single Part rule. This link also has a list of the rules for line features. If you upgrade to Pro 2.6.1 and run the Create Locator tool again with the same data, do you get a different error?

-Shana

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Sorry I been busy map making..

Today is a different day.. I finally got Pro to create a locator. What did I do different I have no idea. Other than I stored it to another location.. I'll test that again tomorrow.. However the results are not even close the actual address.. Also it accepted the alias names but I'm getting the same result. Actual address is not close. Also trying to locate the intersections using aliases will not return a result.. Hopefully I will have some free time tomorrow to review all the options.. But I'm getting closer ..

It's crazy been creating locators for 15 years.. I have no idea why I can get this to work..  

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

How far off are the address matches from where they should be?

Is your locator a single role or multirole locator?

There are some additional options that can be set that were added to ArcGIS Pro 2.6 for preferred names for city and street names, see Preferred street name for more details.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've been watching this thread, and in Pro 2.6 I just used create locator for a street role with alt-names without any trouble. Not sure if I'm missing something in this post or not.  Here in Utah we have both named streets and numbered streets.  So we have S Main St or S 3305 E.  However, each named street has a numeric equivalent.  Sometimes, you never know what the address is going to come in as, the primary name or the numeric alternative.  Here is a snapshot of my primary centerlines feature class as well as the alt names table:

If I enter 3565 S Mason Vista Way or 3565 S 7330 W, I get the same location.

Creating the alt names table is easy: I just  select all those streets that have an Alpha name, and then export just those fields I need for the Numeric equivalent to a table. All of our streets have a UniqueID field so that is my join item:

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Thanks for sharing.. Yes I have some streets that are state routes that are numbered.. I'm going review my fields tomorrow.. I got side tracked with requests..

Thanks again..  

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I'm using the US Address Dual Range as a style. I did create a locator just using the Primary Table. Works just fine.

Centerline is my primary. ID is my join field, 

Master_Address_ Alt is my Alternate Table. StreetID in Alt Join field and AltName is the name.

Primary

Alt Table

I enter 1510 Germantown Rd and get a correct return.

I enter 1510 SR 4 and get nothing. The null value is from another database with auto numbers the field.

0 Kudos