Does the Alias street name or alternate table need to include a shape?

08-31-2020 09:53 AM
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I tried everything. I have a table with a common id field and can't get it work. Thinking about creating another centerline dataset to include the shape. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

If you are trying to create a locator that supports alternate street names, the street centerline feature class must include a shapefield and the alternate name table should have an objectid. Both the street centerline and alternate name table should have a common field that is used to join the data together.

What application and tool are you using to build the locator?

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Im using US Dual Range Address..

Yes I have an Object ID and ID fields in both datasets. Do the field names how to match? (Centerline field is ID and Alt Table is StreetID)

Also I'm using a table created by a consultant which is using all upper case characters in the Alt Table.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

The field names do not have to match. When you build the locator are you setting the JoinID to ID for the centerline and JoinID to StreetID for the alternate name table?

Are you building the locator in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

One way you could test if the difference in case is making a difference is to join the alternate name table to the centerline layer based on the ID and StreetID fields. Then identify one of the streets  that should have an alternate name to see if the joined data is displayed or just scroll to the end of the attribute table to see if the joined data is there. There should also be a validation button or check when performing the join.

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

ArcMap

Join didn't work.. I have many to one.. The Relates shows all the aliases.. Is that the problem?

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

Sorry I misspoke, the relate is what you needed to do in order to see that the aliases were linked to the street layer.

1. If you have access to ArcGIS Pro it would be interesting to see if you are successful with creating the locator with the alternate name table and the uppercase values.

2. If the values in the alternate name table are in the same case as the street centerline data does searching for alternate names with the locator work?

3. Does your alternate name table look similar to the images in this topic for alternate street name? Fundamentals of alternate name tables—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I have the relates working.. But the geocoder will not locate using an alternate name.. I must have missed a setting or option somewhere.. yes the table looks similar..

The image shows Roosevelt as the primary street name.. And the alternate names listed below the Master Address Alt table.

Alternate table view below..

I'm going to try Pro if I can find the tools. 

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Its not recognizing or searching the field with the alternate names.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

You can use the following topics to help with creating the locator. The locator created with the Create Locator tool in Pro cannot be used in ArcMap unless it has been published from Pro as a service. When in the Create Locator tool you will need to use the StreetAddress role and map ID from the centerline layer to StreetJoinID. Then expand the optional parameters to see the alternate name tables parameter and chose the alternate name table role of Alternate Street Name and set Street JoinID to StreetID in the alternate name table.

Create a locator—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Create Locator (Geocoding)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

See the preferred street name section of Additional tuning options—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

-Shana

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Well may be a bit off topic but I got an error that usually isn't issue.. I have some line segments or outlying streets and median cuts without street names. It appears Pro doesn't like it?? If that's true I have some work to do to correct my original issue..

0 Kudos