ArcGIS Pro Create Locator fails (again/still)

Jump to solution
06-15-2020 02:14 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

About a year ago I made a post on the same subject:  ArcGIS Pro Create Locator fails; I followed up with Bug Fix with Create Locator Tool  describing a bug that would be fixed at 2.5; I'm using pro 2.5.1 and I'm getting the same error I did a year ago:

Error happened while transforming data
Failed to execute (CreateLocator).

This time it's with centerlines on a local file geodatabase; I ran the repair geometry tool and it reported it deleted one null geometry but I still get the failure.  Just for fun I ran the check geometry tool and it found no problems.

So if this bug was fixed (?) and there is no problem with the geometries, what is causing my Create Locator to fail?

here is the dope on my centerlines:

Shana Britt

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

The "error transforming data" message is one of those generic catch all errors that could have different causes. The cause for the bug you submitted was likely resolved, but you have now run into a different data issue. Another person in the community was having a similar problem with centerline data and I proposed a solution in this other thread, https://community.esri.com/message/923352-re-create-locator-for-street-address-role-not-working-pro-... . There are some other responses below mine. It's possible the data contains a true curve like a cul-de-sac. We've made some improvements in error and warning messages when building a locator in the 2.6 release of ArcGIS Pro.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Ran a couple trials:  first with just a selected set of a couple thousand centerlines: that failed with the same error.  Also ran check geometry on them, and they came back clean.  Second trial is with just one single centerline, and that worked; just wanted to see if there was something about the parent data that could be the problem, but I can't see what the issue is...

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

The "error transforming data" message is one of those generic catch all errors that could have different causes. The cause for the bug you submitted was likely resolved, but you have now run into a different data issue. Another person in the community was having a similar problem with centerline data and I proposed a solution in this other thread, https://community.esri.com/message/923352-re-create-locator-for-street-address-role-not-working-pro-... . There are some other responses below mine. It's possible the data contains a true curve like a cul-de-sac. We've made some improvements in error and warning messages when building a locator in the 2.6 release of ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Never have liked true curves; as I recall they have been problematic for geocoding since ArcGIS 9.x days.  I don't edit this data, I just consume it now so that's going to be a tough nut for me to crack.  Thanks none the less!

edited to add: LOL: found this post I responded to from 2016:  https://community.esri.com/message/620568?commentID=620568#comment-620568 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Shana Britt- must have been true curves in the original data:  I exported the source data (which is a published feature layer from an enterprise gdb) to a shape file and then re-imported it back to a feature class in a file geodatabase.  Now I can create a locator with a street address role based on that feature class.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So in conclusion at this time the Create Locator tool in Pro 2.5 does not accept true curves?  As such, in order to use this type of address locator from SDE data with true curves one would need to post process the data in a file geodatabase (just as an example as its a simpler setup) to remove the true curves and then this type of address locator can be built from the file geodatabase data source?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That's what it sounds like.  When I was managing a county wide enterprise geodatabase, I made sure none of the editors (all the cities within the county) used them as it raised havoc back then as well.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

We've addressed this issue in the next release of ArcGIS Pro when building locators with the Create Locator tool. If you are part of the early adopter program, you can use a beta version of 2.6 to test your workflows with the data you have. If you are encountering the true curve problem with the currently released software you can export the layer from the geodatabase to a shapefile and import it back into the geodatabase (file or sde), densify the existing data in the geodatabase.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

With the UC virtual this year, is there an anticipated release date for 2.6?