What address locator to use for geocoding addresses in Excel?

05-27-2020 07:08 PM
BrandonCrawford1
New Contributor II

I've been struggling to geocode the following addresses from an Excel table both in ArcMap and ArcPro: 

As you can imagine, I'm trying to geocode the addresses in the "StreetAddress" field. 

When I try to just simply add the table to my document and geocode it, I'm prompted to use an "address locator", of which none of the defaults work. So I believe I have to create an address locator. I'm uncertain of the style that I should use. I've tried streets, home address, and several others and I continue to get error messages. 

Can anyone identify what style I need just by looking at the above example of the table? Is there something else that I'm not doing correctly? e.g. are commas invalid characters? Should I be using a different table type that isn't Excel? Are there address locators that I can just download and use this dataset for (instead of having to create one)? I can tell I'm missing something fundamental here. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Brandon Crawford‌  This question would be better for the ArcGIS Pro‌ space.

For a guided workflow, you might take a look at Tutorial: Geocode a table of addresses—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

If you don't have your own locator, you should be able to use the World Geocoding Service - you'd need to be logged in to an ArcGIS Online organization with some credits.  That is explained in the tutorial linked above. 

With the Excel sheet in the Contents pane, right-click> Geocode Table.

That should launch the wizard.  Does that work for you?

I see in your screenshot that you have many duplicate records, so if you choose to geocode with a service that will consume credits for every match, you might want to remove duplicate records before geocoding.

I realize that you also asked about creating your own locator, which is entirely possible.  But before you go down that road, you would need reference data.  Read Fundamentals of creating a locator—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and try the tutorial above and check back in the ArcGIS Pro space if something isn't working.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos