In my survey I have a series of quesitons that repeat, how do I auto-fill them after the time the questions have been asked and I still need to be able to change the answer(s) as I go through the survey.

07-21-2019 07:17 PM
ToddAckerman
New Contributor III

I am collecting points along a trail and at each point, there will be 5 questions asked about the trail, I would like to have the survey auto-fill after the first time inputting answers and have it continue doing so as I go down the trail and collection points.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Todd,

Yes this should be possible using calculations or defaults. What do you want to "auto-fill" the questions with? Where will the value be populated from? For example a field in the parent layer or the first repeat record or a static value that doesn't change?

Depending on the workflow and where you get the values from to "auto-fill", will depend the best way to set up a calculation to achieve the functionality you are after.

Phil.

ToddAckerman
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

Guessing you can tell by the question I am new at this and learning a lot.  So to answer your question, I would say from the first repeat.  An example would be starting at the trailhead and the width of the trial is 30 inches, I go down the trail 25 feet and collect another point and the trail width is still 30 inches, so I am hoping I would not have to reenter this value again. But, as I go down the trail the width changes to 20 inches and so I collect another point and change the width to 20 inches and am hoping his number (20) would remain until I change it again.

I hope this helps you in helping me.

Thank you again,

Todd

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Todd,

Yes, you can do this with repeats and new records. You will need to use a hidden question outside of the repeat to store the last value that was entered into that question in the repeat record, and then set a calculation to use this value when a new repeat record is added. It is a little tricky to configure, but others users such as Doug Browning‌ and Mike Bruening have done this and similar complex expressions with repeats successfully and posted about it.

Phil.