Accessibility of apps created in web app builder (UK)

01-24-2018 07:25 AM
MarkCooper5
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

I have produced a map in WAB (developer edition) and our website team want to know about how accessible it is.

In terms of being responsive, it works well on all devices, although it is better when not in an iframe on the corporate website. As it appears that the full screen widget doesn't work in when if an iframe, I think we will just also have a link to the actual web app, unless anyone else has any good ideas in this!

As for complying with the Equality Act (2010) and meeting WCAG 2.0 guidelines, I am unsure what to do. I have tried looking on here and not found much really. I see ESRI have published some templates saying how the US regulations are being addressed (Legal Information | Voluntary Product Accessibility Templates (VPATs) | Software )

I know maps are not going to be fully accessible to those with visual imparments but I don't appear to be able to control the app without a mouse, which I was hoping to be able to do. I see there is the AccessifizrWidget (GitHub - cmndrbensisko/AccessifizrWidget: The Accessifizr Widget is designed to easily port Accessif... ) - does anyone know how to use this and if it does the job, or if there are any alternatives?

The other issue is screen reader compatibility. Is it possible for a screen reader to work with a mapping app?

Thanks in advance

Mark

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Mark,

As a starting point, we have an article in this group: The Top Five Accessibility Requirements. If your web app can meet those five requirements, it will be accessible to a large group of users who use keyboard only or screen readers, or have low vision or color-blindness. Those five requirements are part of the WCAG 2.0 guidelines. By working through them, you will get a better idea of how to meet other WCAG 2.0 guidelines. 

Particularly, in order for you to use keyboard only to use the app, all the interactive elements in your app like links, buttons, menus, and form controls should be able to receive keyboard focus and respond to keyboard events. One common issue we see is that <div> or <span> are used for buttons or links, but they don't have "tabindex = '0'" to receive keyboard focus or JavaScript to respond to key presses.    

As for screen readers and information on map, we have created a demo app to start exploring ideas around making the map accessible: A11y MapWe'd love if you could take some time to explore the demo map and provide us feedback on the process. If you are a developer you can access the source code on GitHub.

MarkCooper5

Thanks, that is really helpful. I have looked at your template and it looks great.  Unfortunately we are reliant on the apps that ESRI supply and the full functionality of their widgets. It appears that it is not possible to tab to each of the widgets or navigate the map in them. I particularly like the way you can navigate with a keyboard on your app - that would make an great custom widget for WAB (assuming you could tab to it).

We only use WAP developer to hide various elements in in the widgets or change the colour of the icons. As we are not developers, we are unable to develop an app in the Java API. I don't suppose there is a simple change the tab index in an app created in Web App Builder?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We heard feedback on the accessibility of WAB widgets before and I think the team are planning to address those accessibility issues. I am not quite sure whether it is possible to set `tabindex` on existing widgets or controls. 

Derek Law‌ may have more information on this. 

MarkCooper5

Do you know if it would be possible to add your navigation tool as a widget? It would be really useful. As a non developer, I wouldn't have a clue!!

TimWilliams6
New Contributor II

Have you heard any update on the accessibility (specifically screen reader, and keyboard navigation functionality) of widgets in WAB?

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Tim,
FYI, in the ArcGIS Online March 2019 update, Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS has been enhanced with more accessibility support. Please see this help topic for details,
Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

FYI,

There were some enhancements made to Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS in the ArcGIS Online Oct 2019 update to better support accessibility requirements,

How accessibility features work in Web AppBuilder apps 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos