Stuck on Loading Document

Jump to solution
04-15-2015 10:37 AM
JB
by
New Contributor III

I am trying to load a document for a client that is 10,002 KB.

I was able to open this on Monday and work on the document with no issues.

Today I am unable to load the document. When I click on the document I get the loading screen for ArcGIS 10.2.2 and it gets stuck on the loading document phase. I have let the document sit for 30 plus minutes and it will not open.

I called IT and they installed and reinstalled Arc on my computer.

I tried to use mxd doctor but when the file is placed it freezes up the program and stops responding.

If anyone has any solutions will you please let me know. I thank you in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

That's probably your problem then. Is the mxd stored on the shared drive also? Try copying it locally and see if it opens quicker. Also, try actually waiting for 40 minutes or more. I have literally waited this long for an mxd to open over the network

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Where is the data used in the map document kept? Perhaps it is stored in an external location that ArcMap can't find. I have found that when may data is in a server over the network that my maps can take over a half hour to load. Have you tried waiting to see if it actually opens?

JB
by
New Contributor III

The data is stored on a share drive.

I have tried to let it load but after about 15 minutes it states that ArcGIS is not responding.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-25j2k-XonNEg
New Contributor III

Open up task manager and watch the processes.  If you see the "CPU" or "Memory" values for ArcMap changing, then it's still working, even if you get the "Not Responding" message.

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

That's probably your problem then. Is the mxd stored on the shared drive also? Try copying it locally and see if it opens quicker. Also, try actually waiting for 40 minutes or more. I have literally waited this long for an mxd to open over the network

0 Kudos
JB
by
New Contributor III

I copied it and also tried opening it on a different lap top. I have waited an hour and it freezes. I am not sure what is going on as it was able to open before with no trouble.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Can you open other mxds?

JB
by
New Contributor III

​Yes. Everything opens except the file for the client

0 Kudos
Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

hmmm...  Any chance the map was originally created in an older version of Arc? Or opened and saved with a newer version of Arc?

When all else fails, try tech support?

JB
by
New Contributor III

i think the problem was into getting hung up on all the files connected to the Internet. Thank you all for the great answers. ​