Nearest Distance

Jump to solution
11-13-2015 08:17 AM
JB
by
New Contributor III

I have about 50 points and I need to find the nearest distance of 1 polygon. I tried to used proximity in the toolbox but when I generated the distance it only gave me decimal degrees when I tried to generate miles from calculate geometry. I am wondering if anyone could help me out with this. I just need to find the nearest distance of the 50 points to the 1 polygon.

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

either the dataframe or the data have their units in decimal degrees or set to decimal degrees, since that is what you first indicated, can we get that straightened out first, If you can at least establish meters (the most common) or perhaps feet (common in the U.S but not guaranteed), it is a simple solution to convert to feet.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are you using Near—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ? or what tool?  You should be using projected data unless you are working with very very large distances.  You might want to project your data and ensure that the data frame is set to the same projection of the layer in question... regardless of the method/tool you are using.

0 Kudos
JB
by
New Contributor III

The data I am using has the same projection. The tool that I was using was the near and generate near table however it will not let me generate miles.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

either the dataframe or the data have their units in decimal degrees or set to decimal degrees, since that is what you first indicated, can we get that straightened out first, If you can at least establish meters (the most common) or perhaps feet (common in the U.S but not guaranteed), it is a simple solution to convert to feet.

JB
by
New Contributor III

It was set to decimal degrees. Thank you for your reply and being patient with me I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No problem...those pesky decimal degrees

0 Kudos