Is there a way to keep line segments that are snapped at end vertices to stay connected?

02-27-2018 09:08 PM
ChristopherDruck1
New Contributor

Looking for a way to keep my street centerlines connected, even if I move I move a vertex. For example, with my street centerline layer, I want to be able to edit and move streets without losing the snapped connections at intersections. If I move the vertex of an intersection to correct it, I want the other snapped vertices on the other line segments to move too, automatically. Is there a way to achieve this without using a geometric network? If not, can a geometric network be used with network analyst?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you are working with a geometric network this is possible: Moving existing network features—Help | ArcGIS Desktop (in ArcMap) 

ChristopherDruck1
New Contributor

Our streets are going to be used in Network Analyst after the fact, to create routing, but not during editing. Do you know if the geometric network will affect the Network Analyst process, or would we have to remove the geometric network every time we want to run Network Analyst?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Christopher,

You could accomplish using a geodatabase topology.  When editing the feature class, you can use the Topology Edit Tool on the Topology toolbar to select and move the vertex.

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Put your centerlines in a geometric network You can then even add the road network junctions into your edit session and grab and move them.

However you will quickly discover how horrible road centerline data really is. I have my roads in a Geometric Network for just your reason.  You would want not use simply junctions when building.  After building I did a trace to find disconnected roads.  And there are a lot. It also uncovered numerous roads where there were 6 or 7 copies of the same line segment.  We didn't create the data but get ours from the state.

You could also put it in topology but I find editing in a Geometric Network to be more streamlined.