How to insert symbols in maps?

08-17-2020 09:11 AM
DavidHarrison
New Contributor

I've been trying to use ArcGIS a little bit and a few months ago got so that I could insert text and symbols for curb stops and fire hydrants etc. And delete them and move them... Then after not getting around it for a few months and stupidly not putting explanations in my notes now I can not figure out how to insert symbols again. I'm trying to attach a jpg of a screen shot of what I've been fighting with and in the table of contents it shows the symbols but when I right click on one and select copy then go click a spot on the map and select paste it just seems to add another symbol in the table of contents section.

Before doing the above I click the Editor button and select Start Editing and I've also learned that clicking the arrow icon beside that button will allow me to highlight symbols that are already in place, and move them and delete them. But I can't figure out how to add new ones and have not been able to find an explanation on line. I've found explanations on how to create new ones and how to modify their appearance but none of those explanations told how to insert them in a map after you have them the way you want them.

Can anyone suggest other forums related to ArcGIS or ArcMap or whatever it's offically called?

Thank you for any help!

David
Maine, USA

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

After you have started editing, Click the Editor menu again, then Editing Windows, Create Features.  

This opens the "Create Features" panel .  Click the type of feature you want to place on the map, then click on the map to place it.

Once the point is on the map, click the Attributes button to add attributes, or edit in the table.

Save Edits and Stop Editing.

You might benefit from some of ESRI's free online training:  https://www.esri.com/training/ 

Good luck!

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
DavidHarrison
New Contributor

Thank you Jay that did it! I'll look into the online training you suggested as well.

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

Great!  Be sure to mark my answer as "Correct", so that this question shows up as "Answered".

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos