What's the workflow for creating an SLPK with multiple multipatch FCs as layers?

02-10-2020 07:12 AM
DavidBrooks5
New Contributor III

I have extracted a BIM Revit file into individual multipatch feature classes for each BIM category, and I would like to create a WebScene with the ability to switch the layers on/off and identify model attributes.

I haven't been able to find a defined workflow for performing this, and don't really want to have to export an SLPK for each category, but can if that's required.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Could you use the BIM revit file to create a scene layer package that would contain a Building Scene Layer. Then you can upload that slpk to ArcGIS Online or Portal to create a Hosted Building Scene Layer and use the hosted layer in a Web Scene. For filtering, popups layer visibility you can use the building explorer widget in Scene Viewer.

Building scene layer—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

View scenes in Scene Viewer—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Russ

0 Kudos
DavidBrooks5
New Contributor III

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, what I'm trying to achieve here is actually a workaround from using the Create Building Scene Layer tool. This is because (see my other forum post here) one of my Revit families "Generic Model" is too complex to keep in the SLPK and is freezing my PC when i try to run the tool. Therefore, I was looking at other options.

To be honest, this is proving to be a bigger problem than I realised, as my other post today indicates that I can't even host a simple multipatch FC to AGOL using Pro 2.5. So i have a few bugs to squash before I can get a decent workflow.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If you have the multipatches for the building in a file geodatabase (no other geometries or tables in the gdb) you can upload a zipped version to ArcGIS Online to create a feature layer. From that Feature Layer you can publish a Scene Layer through the item details.

For the Scene Layer version issue - Can you share the feature layer and scene layer with me? (this can be through a group and invite russell_jsapi into it)

Russ

0 Kudos
DavidBrooks5
New Contributor III

Unfortunately I can't share the data for commercial reasons. I have uploaded a GDB with just multipatch FCs and the resultant Hosted Scene Layer yields the following error in a scene viewer:

[Layer name] cannot be loaded
Multipatch Feature Services are not supported.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

From the feature layer on the item details page you will have to publish a scene layer. You will see the Publish option on the main page of the feature layer and select the scene layer option.

0 Kudos
DavidBrooks5
New Contributor III

You're quite right, that worked a treat. However, is it possible to style the layers once they've been published in this way? My original multipatch FCs had a stroke applied so the outlines were visible. But this gets lost in the hosted scene layer.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You will be able to style the layer and enable edging on the 3D Object/Multipatch features. It will not be a stroke pattern but you can use a solid or sketch edging and pick the dark or light theme along with sketch weight.

0 Kudos
DavidBrooks5
New Contributor III

Fantastic. That's worked a treat too. Thank you.

Next challenge is to try and successfully publish a Building Scene Layer.

On that note, I don't suppose you know a way of improving the resolution of the Creat Bounding Volume tool in concave mode do you? I have some very complex multipatches that I'm trying to simplify by just extracting the volume and doing away with the individual elements and internal features.

0 Kudos