Is ESRI doing anything with Microsoft about the HoloLens?

Jump to solution
04-06-2016 07:03 PM
JackZHANG
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, just wondering if ESRI is working or planning on any development to bring the HoloLens and GIS together? I know Trimble has already been working on it. Would be good to know any update from ESRI. Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

The answer is "Yes!"

However it is way too early to say what we're doing, or if we'll even make this into a product. But of course we are researching this technology, coming up with ideas to try and prototype etc.

On a side-note, since the ArcGIS Runtime for Quartz fully supports Windows Universal apps, these app will run inside the HoloLens just fine. I did a little video of that here: Gestures for 2D apps on HoloLens - YouTube

Of course showing flat 2D apps inside HoloLens isn't really its true power, but once we have something "real" to show, we'll probably be ready to talk more about it. So at this point we don't really have anything to share, besides yes we are looking at it with great interest.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

The answer is "Yes!"

However it is way too early to say what we're doing, or if we'll even make this into a product. But of course we are researching this technology, coming up with ideas to try and prototype etc.

On a side-note, since the ArcGIS Runtime for Quartz fully supports Windows Universal apps, these app will run inside the HoloLens just fine. I did a little video of that here: Gestures for 2D apps on HoloLens - YouTube

Of course showing flat 2D apps inside HoloLens isn't really its true power, but once we have something "real" to show, we'll probably be ready to talk more about it. So at this point we don't really have anything to share, besides yes we are looking at it with great interest.

WoodyHynes
Esri Contributor

Here is an interesting and fun video from Adrien Meriaux   Back to the future of 3D GIS in an Hololens - YouTube

dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

That should answer your question 😉

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

grief.... I can't wait to see how they handle the ...'my data don't line up'... questions within this environment

DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

I made a joke about CityEngine in a similar vein at the UC.

"I don't know people talk about cell phone positioning accuracy and precision, I call any day I get a model in CityEngine within 10 +-50 meters of where I want it to be a good day. "

David Wasserman, AICP
JackZHANG
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks everyone for the comments. It's great to see and know all this happening : )

0 Kudos