Interpolate line with sample distance

05-11-2012 11:35 PM
ChrisKisters
New Contributor II
Hello everybody,

I've tried several attemps to reduce the number of points while interpolating a quiet ling route, but I really can't apreciate the diference when I start the profile graph.
So, for example, if my route is 20 km long and I use a sample distance of 1 km, there have to be only 20 pionts or vertices in the profil graph. Is this correct?
Or does the sample distance function not work with raster base maps?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Chris
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
The Interpolate Shape tool has the option to select only the vertices or the entire line.  If you select the entire line, it will add vertices where the elevation changes, making it a rather complex feature.   If you have a coarse spatial resolution(large cell size) in your DEM, then the number of vertices created will be much less than a finer resolution DEM(smaller cell size.)  If you are altering the sampling distance under your cell size, then you will not see a difference, to see a difference it must be much greater than the default.
0 Kudos
ChrisKisters
New Contributor II
The Interpolate Shape tool has the option to select only the vertices or the entire line.  If you select the entire line, it will add vertices where the elevation changes, making it a rather complex feature.   If you have a coarse spatial resolution(large cell size) in your DEM, then the number of vertices created will be much less than a finer resolution DEM(smaller cell size.)  If you are altering the sampling distance under your cell size, then you will not see a difference, to see a difference it must be much greater than the default.

Thanks fot the quick answer.
In my case the DEM has a resolution of 50m x 50m, so getting back to my example, if I define a sample distance of 1000 meters for may 20 km track, there should not be more than 20 vertices, correct? I have checked this, but I did not have any success.
Another question: is it possible to edit manually the Z-value of my interpolated line in order to adapt it in case of a bridge or a tunel?

Thanks again,

Chris
0 Kudos